The Student Room Group

Which periods of the year do students go out the most after Freshers' week?

We know almost everyone goes out most days during Freshers' week, but when after that? I'd imagine lots of students don't go out much at all and only on special occasions, but what happens generally? Do nightclubs suddenly get rammed after exams and before/after holidays or are they just busy throughout the year?
(edited 9 years ago)
When I was a fresher I went out like 3 times a week, it depends what your flatmates/friends are like really. Some people go out loads some people only go out once a week.

I'd imagine it was just as soon as they get their student loans they go out most.
Reply 2
Lots of students go out a lot. I wouldn't worry about never having someone to go out with, that's for sure. Particularly people with <10 contact hours. 3-4 nights a week was pretty average for a lot of people I lived with in first year.

It depends what the "best" nights are in your area. Wednesday is a big night for sports at most places, but there's a particular favourite in my city for Wednesdays that a lot of people go to. That ends up being a weekly occurrence for a lot of people, and then sometimes mix it up by going out different nights to elsewhere.

As it builds up to exam time it gets a bit quieter, but I reckon most of the term is quite consistent.
Reply 3
Original post by SweetNothing
When I was a fresher I went out like 3 times a week, it depends what your flatmates/friends are like really. Some people go out loads some people only go out once a week.

I'd imagine it was just as soon as they get their student loans they go out most.

Original post by Nymthae
Lots of students go out a lot. I wouldn't worry about never having someone to go out with, that's for sure. Particularly people with <10 contact hours. 3-4 nights a week was pretty average for a lot of people I lived with in first year.

It depends what the "best" nights are in your area. Wednesday is a big night for sports at most places, but there's a particular favourite in my city for Wednesdays that a lot of people go to. That ends up being a weekly occurrence for a lot of people, and then sometimes mix it up by going out different nights to elsewhere.

As it builds up to exam time it gets a bit quieter, but I reckon most of the term is quite consistent.

3-4 times a week is loads. Almost like a part time job! Was that throughout both semesters and summer? I've got a lot going on in Semester 1 so might only be twice a week but will there still be opportunities to ramp it up after Christmas?
Haha the week after every loan installment is when the managers in every bar start praising the Lord.
Reply 5
Original post by ZolaCFC25
3-4 times a week is loads. Almost like a part time job! Was that throughout both semesters and summer? I've got a lot going on in Semester 1 so might only be twice a week but will there still be opportunities to ramp it up after Christmas?

Don't feel pressured to go out so many times a week - just go out when you want to, have the time to, and can afford to. Needless to say if one of my flat mates had spent even half of the time he spent drunk doing course work he might have actually passed first year :wink: I mainly tried to restrict stuff to Fridays/Saturdays (with the odd exception) because I had 9 am lectures/labs everyday.

Most people go home for summer, and Christmas/Easter so it's always really quiet around that time. Once exams are over after Christmas though, and people have their loan in, there's plenty of post-exam partying.
First year: Several times a week throughout the year, you could barely spend an evening without someone suggesting ''town tonight?''. Some of us even went out during exam period. Once exams were finished it was probably 3-4 times a week.
Second year: Whenever we wanted, apart from exams and deadline week. Probably once a week on average.
Third year: Never, apart from the first/last week of term and when everyone's exams have finished. Going out was replaced by going to the pub and being in bed for 11.
Peak at Freshers Week, peak around Halloween, peak first week of December (all the student Christmas parties, because then they finish).

Back end of January picks up too as people start doing end of January exams parties.

After that the next big peak is probably end May to mid June as people start finishing their exams.
From September to December like 2-4 times a week. When exams hit maybe one in every 2 weeks if that (Summer Exams). Around January to March time I got bored of clubbing and it was far too cold so we started smoking and drink ups in doors

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of students will go out on every student night, and at the weekend. (For my uni, that's every Tues/Thurs)

It really depends on the person. I know a few who go out a lot, and some who only go out for special occasions.

Quick Reply

Latest