Roby-Lou
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am currently in lower sixth (in Northern Ireland) and I was looking for different university courses I might be interested in. The course for joint Japanese and Film studies looked really good and I have always been interested in Japanese culture and film studies was a course I wanted to sign up for anyway.

If anyone does either or both of these courses some advice would be great as I don't even speak the language but thought it would always be fun to learn.
Also any info on the actual university like teachers and lectures would be great
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Roby-Lou)
I am currently in lower sixth (in Northern Ireland) and I was looking for different university courses I might be interested in. The course for joint Japanese and Film studies looked really good and I have always been interested in Japanese culture and film studies was a course I wanted to sign up for anyway.

If anyone does either or both of these courses some advice would be great as I don't even speak the language but thought it would always be fun to learn.
Also any info on the actual university like teachers and lectures would be great
Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university!
Kairi-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Roby-Lou)

Hey,

You might have already applied to uni by now, but I'm in my first year at Brookes studying joint honours Japanese and Film!

Before you come it'd be useful to learn the hiragana and katakana alphabets, just to make it easier for you because you have to learn them in the first week or so. All the lecturers I've had have been super friendly!

Japanese language lectures are more like classes, so you do written or speaking activities throughout the classes so it's interactive, rather than just being spoken to and expected to learn it. The powerpoints are also put up on moodle so you can go back and revisit what you've learnt in each lesson whenever you want. There are in-class 10 minute tests each week for new vocabulary etc.

For the Japanese culture modules, I've only taken one so far. In this, we were again in typical class rooms. The lecturer went through a powerpoint and expanded on it so we could write notes and then we had activities regarding the info we had just learnt.

For Film studies, what the lectures are like really depends on on the module, so whether it's practical or theoretical. For the practical based module I've had, it was half a tutorial where we learnt how to use their equipment hands on and half learning terminology in a classroom. For the theoretical module, it was half in a lecture theatre with everyone doing the module and half in a class room with a smaller group of people.

Let me know if there's anything else!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (36)
16.59%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15.21%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (58)
26.73%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.35%

Watched Threads