The Student Room Group

Resit A levels or go to uni?

Omg can someone help me please?! I didn't get into my firm choice Southampton for Politics & IR! I found a place through clearing, but I completely messed up my A levels and now I only ended up with 2 ! Shall I resit the year/ or whilst at uni/ ?! I need help, so confused and scared of my future!:dontknow: :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Why does no one seem to reply/help me? :frown: :frown: :frown:
Original post by lozasaurus99
Why does no one seem to reply/help me? :frown: :frown: :frown:

Because you are posting in a thread about someone else's problem. Start a new thread with a title which helps people understand what you want to know.

FWIW if you have a place at university, there's no point resitting your A levels. In any case, the workload will be heavy. You have a place, so your A levels have served their purpose. Concentrate on getting a degree.
I have to say that I don't necessarily agree with Carnation here.

If you feel like you will resent attending the university you have a place at I would suggest you seriously consider declining the place and resitting your exams this year.

I agree with the sentiment above but I am also aware of how destructive "what if" feelings can be for some people. Only you are equipped to make this decision but the thing you definitely shouldn't do is both go to university and retake your A levels as that doesn't serve any useful purpose.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, just make sure you consider the implications of your decisions.
Oh sigh..:frown: Kingston uni for international law with industrial placement
But say I can compromise resit A levels whilst at uni, then if I get a first there do a masters at a prestigious London uni like lse/ucl/kcl? ?
Original post by ByronicHero
I have to say that I don't necessarily agree with Carnation here.

:eek::eek:
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
:eek::eek:

I know, I was shocked. I hope our relationship can recover :frown:
If you know you can do better then definitely retake. Just make damn sure you get your grades this time.

Nearly all universities (certainly the universities you will be applying to) won't care that you are retaking the year. If your AS levels are strong, it won't be too difficult to secure an offer from a RG university. If you don't, there's always results day - most RG universities are in clearing, particularly for a course like politics. If you meet their requirements (occasionally even a grade or two below) you'll be fine.
(edited 9 years ago)
But say I can compromise resit A levels whilst at uni, then if I get a first there do a masters at a prestigious London uni like lse/ucl/kcl? ?

There are quite a lot of ifs in here. The bottom line is, don't go to a university you don't want to go to. However, consider what you would do if you didn't do any better this time round. I really wouldn't bank on getting a first as if it's a simple thing to achieve. It isn't, especially if you didn't do well in your A levels. The course you have got is a decent one, especially with only two A levels. I'd think carefully about how much better you are likely to do by resitting your A levels at the same time as doing a degree.
I know, I was shocked. I hope our relationship can recover :frown:

I forgive you. Our love is too strong.
I forgive you. Our love is too strong.

I'm unworthy of such kindness :moon:
I'm unworthy of such kindness :moon:

You're not, but you'll have to get rid of that beard.
You're not, but you'll have to get rid of that beard.

Nag, nag, nag.
I feel so dumb with 2 A levels like people have four , I messed my A2 psychology up! So want to resit both units which I have all the notes for! Plus..I've realised how important good grades are! :frown:
And what if I still don't receive A's that's the risk :frown: but I would make valuable use etc .. like volunteer a day every week/abroad I'm really quite unsure !

Posted from TSR Mobile
The careers advisor said say you have a low C grade resitting is risky as the ums may only go up by 20 odd marks where you'll be at a mid-high C grade" see I'm scared if I make th wrong decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The careers advisor said say you have a low C grade resitting is risky as the ums may only go up by 20 odd marks where you'll be at a mid-high C grade" see I'm scared if I make th wrong decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's why I say stick with what you have, since the odds are not in your favour of going up substantially, and even if you do, you will be at a disadvantage over people who got the results first time. Unless you actually hate the thought of the course you have, I'd say it's better to have a bird in the hand rather than two in the bush.
Omg can someone help me please?! I didn't get into my firm choice Southampton for Politics & IR! I found a place through clearing, but I completely messed up my A levels and now I only ended up with 2 ! Shall I resit the year/ or whilst at uni/ ?! I need help, so confused and scared of my future!:dontknow: :frown:

I say re-sit.
Don't panick, think of it as a bump in the road. Learn from it. Don't dwell.
In the long run, it'll be worth it and you'll be content with your offers.
Also re-siting may seem long, but it'll fly past just like GCSEs and A-levels already have.
Don't give up!
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending