Why is the pressure higher in the left hand side of the heart than the right?

Watch
Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I already know its because it needs to go to the rest of the body but I want more reasons, more scientific reasons?

Also while im asking this question are the walls of the left hand side thicker than right because not only to withstand from the strong pressure but are the thick walls there to increase force?
Kitty-meaw
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
I already know its because it needs to go to the rest of the body but I want more reasons, more scientific reasons?

Also while im asking this question are the walls of the left hand side thicker than right because not only to withstand from the strong pressure but are the thick walls there to increase force?
because as you said the left hand side is thicker to pump oxygenated blood around the body quicker at higher pressure, and do right hand side doesn't need to have a thick wall (to create much pressure) because it is only carrying dis-oxygenated blood from the cells around the body to be re-oxygenated... hope this helps
treejoe4
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The left hand side needs to pump blood filled with oxygen around the enitre body, the right side only transports it to the lungs
Muppet Science
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Left Ventricle has thicker walls because it is more muscular, this allows it to generate large pressures in order for the blood to completely circulate (systemic circulation). The Right Ventricle need only pump the relatively short distance that is the pulmonary circulation, hence it has a thinner wall and generates lower pressures.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (146)
4.87%
Uncertainty around my education (442)
14.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (337)
11.25%
Lack of purpose or motivation (418)
13.96%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.64%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.01%
Loneliness (257)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (122)
4.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (162)
5.41%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (265)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (283)
9.45%

Watched Threads