The Student Room Group

I feel so lost

Hi,

I'm really going to try to keep this as short as possible. I'm 18 and I've just started uni. The uni runs a program a week before freshers to offer advice and help on the academic side of things, so that we don't find the 'jump' between A-levels and uni so difficult.

Thing is, I feel so isolated. I've not yet come across anyone doing the same course as me, but I feel like I just don't fit in. After I speak to someone for a few mins, it seems as though I really put them off speaking to me again. I'm not a socially awkward person, and in the past I've got along with pretty much everyone I've spoken to. I'm also not the type to keep trying to make conversation, I'll say the usual 'Hi..What course are you doing?..' etc, but I don't try to force a conversation.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I really have no idea. I really need some advice.

Oh, and I'm also an ethnic minority on this program that's being run. I don't really think it's relevant, but perhaps it may be?

I'm so lost, any help would be appreciated x
Reply 1
What university? My university just had a week long program.
Reply 2
Original post by David B
What university? My university just had a week long program.

It's up north, really don't want to give the name.
Don't bother with society. Do not bother with "the crowd"! They are unworthy of your time.
Hello. I`m sorry to hear you feel like this. But I would imagine you`re not the only one. It`s new and scary and full of strangers and probably,to you,everyone seems to be having a great time; laughing and joking with friends,confident outgoing etc. They are probably very much in the minority and I would imagine the vast majority of people at some point or other feel just like you. Have you thought about starting a Forum on here inviting people who go to your uni who maybe are doing the same course as you? Also you could put a notice up on a notice board where people on your course might read it advertising an "Ice Breaker" coffee hour,where you can all get to know one another. Although i`m sure once you start your lectures you will spot familiar faces each day or week and you will all gravitate towards each other anyway.Good luck.!
Original post by amira__
Hi,

I'm really going to try to keep this as short as possible. I'm 18 and I've just started uni. The uni runs a program a week before freshers to offer advice and help on the academic side of things, so that we don't find the 'jump' between A-levels and uni so difficult.

Thing is, I feel so isolated. I've not yet come across anyone doing the same course as me, but I feel like I just don't fit in.

I'm so lost, any help would be appreciated x

The advice has to be 'hang on in there' it will get better.

Your university acknowledges it is hard to adjust by running a programme just for that. Use that time to get to know the city or town you are in. When you are not doing programme related activities go for walks to locate 'your' building, if you have your uni card visit the library and see what the facilities are like. Work out where the shops are. Just start to get the feel for the place that you will adopt as your home for the next three or four years.

When the people on your course do turn up you will be all the more confident and when someone says 'oh no where is such and such building? ' you will be able to lead the way.

Some people appear to be socially confident and others just have to take a deep breath, smile and pretend everything is fine - until eventually it is.
Death! Death to the crowd, the rabble, the inglorious conglomeration of stupidity and ignorance and tyranny! Break loose, liberate yourself from the festering odour of worthlessness and barbarism! Freedom! Death to the unworthy!

Quick Reply

Latest