The Student Room Group

Choosing the right course

Hey there,

I'm applying to a couple of universities in GB from Germany...
Atm I'm trying to decide which courses to apply for and I'm starting to become desperate :confused: as I am interested in psychology as well as in philosophy. However, I am afraid that as a foreign student a joint honours degree will be too much which is why I want to know whether it is possible for me to study one course full time and then get a few credits in a different subject. E.g. I study psychology but at the same time I can look into philosophy...

If not, what are your thoughts on joint honours especially at elite universities?

Thank you for your help!!!:smile:
Original post by captainoatsx
Hey there,

I'm applying to a couple of universities in GB from Germany...
Atm I'm trying to decide which courses to apply for and I'm starting to become desperate :confused: as I am interested in psychology as well as in philosophy. However, I am afraid that as a foreign student a joint honours degree will be too much which is why I want to know whether it is possible for me to study one course full time and then get a few credits in a different subject. E.g. I study psychology but at the same time I can look into philosophy...

If not, what are your thoughts on joint honours especially at elite universities?

Thank you for your help!!!:smile:

Some universities will allow you to study "electives"- i.e. take modules from outside your subject area, especially in first year. However, UK degrees are usually quite tightly focused on one subject area.

Most psychology degrees can seem quite prescriptive, without much choice involved, as the universities have to offer certain modules in order for the degree to be accredited by the BPS (British psychological society).

However, a joint honours degree shouldn't mean that your workload is a lot higher than someone doing a single honours subject. If you're genuinely interested in both, then I'm sure you'd cope with a joint honours degree. This page from the university of Leeds might help explain a bit further. http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/125070/wealth_of_opportunities/428/joint_honours/4
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Some universities will allow you to study "electives"- i.e. take modules from outside your subject area, especially in first year. However, UK degrees are usually quite tightly focused on one subject area.

Most psychology degrees can seem quite prescriptive, without much choice involved, as the universities have to offer certain modules in order for the degree to be accredited by the BPS (British psychological society).

However, a joint honours degree shouldn't mean that your workload is a lot higher than someone doing a single honours subject. If you're genuinely interested in both, then I'm sure you'd cope with a joint honours degree. This page from the university of Leeds might help explain a bit further. http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/125070/wealth_of_opportunities/428/joint_honours/4

Thank you for your quick reply!

I think I'll apply for the joint honours degree but a few universities I'm interested in only offer psychology as a Single Honours... Do you know if it would downgrade my personal statement if those universities saw that I applied for a Joint Honours at a different university?
Original post by captainoatsx
Thank you for your quick reply!

I think I'll apply for the joint honours degree but a few universities I'm interested in only offer psychology as a Single Honours... Do you know if it would downgrade my personal statement if those universities saw that I applied for a Joint Honours at a different university?

Universities can't see which other universities/courses you have applied to. However, as you've gathered, they would probably be able to establish this from your personal statement. Admissions tutors might see you as being less committed to the course, and this could mean they would prefer other applicants who were similar in other respects.

However, the personal statement is only one part of your application, and your grades and reference are also important- so you could still get offers, even with a less than perfect PS. Also, universities offering joint honours will understand that sometimes applicants are applying for single honours elsewhere, so a 2/3 psychology 1/3 philosophy balance might work better for your personal statement.
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Universities can't see which other universities/courses you have applied to. However, as you've gathered, they would probably be able to establish this from your personal statement. Admissions tutors might see you as being less committed to the course, and this could mean they would prefer other applicants who were similar in other respects.

However, the personal statement is only one part of your application, and your grades and reference are also important- so you could still get offers, even with a less than perfect PS. Also, universities offering joint honours will understand that sometimes applicants are applying for single honours elsewhere, so a 2/3 psychology 1/3 philosophy balance might work better for your personal statement.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending