Better to choose three AS levels or four?

Watch this thread
fashion-journey
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I'm applying for college soon and was wondering if it's more beneficial to take four AS levels then drop one or just three? Also, how much harder is it to study an extra subject?

I'm definitely taking:

English literature
Media studies
Textile design

Possibly taking graphic communication, Spanish or film studies
Nymthae
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
The majority of students do four subjects at AS. It may be a disadvantage to therefore only study three, as some universities will request a fourth subject to AS (if you're interested in university). Another advantage is it will offer you some choice of what to continue for your second year, as you may find one of the subjects you've already taken isn't what you hoped it was/too much work/no longer interested.
2en1
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Take 4 because when you start A levels, how much you like the subject will change and then you might really want to drop one in Y13 but then you won't be able to do that if you pick 3 subjects now. Also taking 4 will allow you to broaden your horizons if you're not sure what course to do at university.
bananaminion
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Most people take 4, and as the above have said, it's useful if you're potentially looking at uni (though a lot of the time it's not required) and because you might find you hate one of your first three and want to drop it.
If I were you, I'd pick Spanish, a language is always useful and very well respected.
Jkizer
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I would try take 4 at the beginning to get a full flavour of the subject. If you really detest the subject and are unable to swap subjects, then is the time to drop down to 3 AS levels (some schools only let you take 3 if you have below par gcses though). I ended up doing 3 AS's after flopping at 2 subjects at the beginning of the year and i found it very beneficial since i was focusing on subjects which really mattered towards my applications for uni. If you do 3 AS levels in the end, you gotta make sure you enjoy them / tolerate it enough !!

Very few universities / courses / apprenticeships ask for an AS, so that isnt the maaain issue in my view. The fourth AS is more helpful for yourself rather than the application in most cases. Will probably depend on what you want to do after college
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (40)
26.32%
As I expected (49)
32.24%
Harder (56)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.61%

Watched Threads