The Student Room Group

Forms of ID for clubs - help!

I was going to take my provisional licence for going to clubs during freshers, but now I'm 98% sure it's not going to arrive in time...

Apparently my next best option is a passport, as not all clubs accept student ID as ID...

I really do not want to take something as critical as a passport to a city I am not familiar with, and even if I was familiar with it, I still wouldn't.

If there are any other ways of showing ID, please reveal them now.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you look old enough it might not even be an issue. Sadly though only really your drivers license and your passport can be considered 'official' ID.

There did use to be something called a 'Prove It' card but I don't think they do this anymore.
I don't have a provisional though I ought to get one. I use my passport all the time when going to clubs, and tend to get in a lot easier than those with licenses as theirs gets checked more, probably because more people borrow them for ID than a passport...

It should be fine. You're probably going to have to provide ID or something at enrollment and you should take your passport even if it stays in your room. Always take at least two photocopies of it and put them in different places as it makes it a lot easier to get it replaced.
Original post by NebulousBlue
If you look old enough it might not even be an issue. Sadly though only really your drivers license and your passport can be considered 'official' ID.

There did use to be something called a 'Prove It' card but I don't think they do this anymore.

People often mistake me for being older than I am, which will be a good thing until I'm about... 25. :biggrin: I see, and no I think the Prove it card has been phased out? Or they don't accept it anymore. Either one, but yeah you're correct.

Thank you for replying, and I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet on taking my passport. I just feel like I'm tempting fate, you know what I mean?
Try to keep it in a zip-able pocket in a bag or something then you have less chance of losing it.
Original post by Paralove
I don't have a provisional though I ought to get one. I use my passport all the time when going to clubs, and tend to get in a lot easier than those with licenses as theirs gets checked more, probably because more people borrow them for ID than a passport...

It should be fine. You're probably going to have to provide ID or something at enrollment and you should take your passport even if it stays in your room. Always take at least two photocopies of it and put them in different places as it makes it a lot easier to get it replaced.

I just feel a little off about bringing a passport... Yeah I will definitely bring my passport as my degree has travel involved, and if it has been alright for you (I'm guessing also in a city uni) then I shouldn't be so freaky over it. Thank you for replying :smile:
Original post by liomeeringca
I just feel a little off about bringing a passport... Yeah I will definitely bring my passport as my degree has travel involved, and if it has been alright for you (I'm guessing also in a city uni) then I shouldn't be so freaky over it. Thank you for replying :smile:

Actually I'm only starting next month, but I live in Bristol which is a big city uni, and I've never had problems!
Reply 7
What about a Pass Card?
Original post by smile:D
What about a Pass Card?

I haven't heard of that, do you use it?
People often mistake me for being older than I am, which will be a good thing until I'm about... 25. :biggrin: I see, and no I think the Prove it card has been phased out? Or they don't accept it anymore. Either one, but yeah you're correct.

Thank you for replying, and I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet on taking my passport. I just feel like I'm tempting fate, you know what I mean?

It probably depends where you are, but I have friends who're in their 20s and look their age but are asked for ID, so it's really not a good idea to rely on the fact you look older :tongue:

I would just use your passport until you can have your provisional forwarded to you. People do use their passports as ID, it just means being careful!
I haven't heard of that, do you use it?

Nope, it's just something I've heard about. See here
Them are the only two ways i think! :frown:
Reply 12
Club bouncers are required to accept PASS ID cards as acceptable ID but very rarely do they do this in practice. Driver's licence and passport are the two which are always accepted (provided you're not trying to be someone else).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending