Kasia1
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I will be applying for medicine in three years to Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Leeds. I want to plan my personal statement in a way that would almost ensure that I get in, however I am not sure what would that personal statement contain. What does a good personal statement for medicine need? What type of voluntary work, academical/non-academical achievements etc?
Thank you very much for help.
Adam'
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kasia1)
I will be applying for medicine in three years to Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Leeds. I want to plan my personal statement in a way that would almost ensure that I get in, however I am not sure what would that personal statement contain. What does a good personal statement for medicine need? What type of voluntary work, academical/non-academical achievements etc?
Thank you very much for help.
Have lots of work experience, lots of academical achievements and lots of non-academical achievements! Get into sports teams. Play and instrument and do grades (grade 6 at least). Work in hospitals, GP's surgeries, dental surgeries, pharmacies, opticians, anywhere to do with health. Volunteer at a hospice. Do something with St Johns Ambulance, they offer some volunteering opportunities.

And DON'T post your personal statement online asking for people to proof read it and give tips. It will get copied and you won't be allowed to use it because it will be flagged for plagiarism.
LouieSax
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Medicine Personal Statements Generally include information about you more specifically about what you've done. Medicine personal statements usually contain some of the following (but not all as you can't fit everything in)
- Work Experience
- Subjects - what you enjoyed, what you're interested in
-Books you've read surrounding medicine
- Voluntary Work
- Extra Cirricular Activities
-School Contribution e.g. Prefect, Librarian
- Extra Schemes that you have been involved with such as the DofE Award, the Millennium Volunteers Award or academic awards

Work Experience can include any of the following:
-Shadowing at a Hospital/GP
-Volunteering at a Nursing Home
-Volunteering at a Hospice
-Volunteering at a Hospital
- Employment as a Health Care Assistant
And so much more.

In terms of Voluntary Work however, it may be best to get any hands on work experience. You want to volunteer in a place where you interact and experience patients/ the health care environment rather than just spending time in a Charity shop. So anything where you get to interact with people. Universities usually prefer a long-term work experience placement . So volunteering can include things such as:
- Volunteering in a Nursing Home
- Volunteering in a hospice
-Volunteering at a Special Needs School
-St. John's Ambulance
or whatever else you can get your hands on. Have a look at the different opportunities available to you in your area, you may want to have a look online websites such as do-it.org to find the best opportunity for you

Any further questions, feel free to ask, I am not an expert as I am not personally applying for medicine however, I have had a lot of experience with people applying for medicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (1)
2.86%
October 2021 (25)
71.43%
November 2021 (3)
8.57%
December 2021 (2)
5.71%
January 2021 (2)
5.71%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (1)
2.86%