The Student Room Group

How to fund your PGCE?

The subject which I want to teach isn't considered a priority subject by the Department of Education, therefore I'm not eligible for a bursary. Because of this I'm not even sure I can afford to leave my full time job to study as the maintenance loan/grant won't cover my living costs.

Just wondering how those of you not living with parents manage to cover your living costs?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charl0tte90
The subject which I want to teach isn't considered a priority subject by the Department of Education, therefore I'm not eligible for a bursary. Because of this I'm not even sure I can afford to leave my full time job to study as the maintenance loan/grant won't cover my living costs.

Just wondering how those of you not living with parents manage to cover your living costs?

Thanks!

have job = true
Job = source of income
plan = saving up
Reply 2
Looks like I'm going to be saving for a long time then!
Looks like I'm going to be saving for a long time then!

If you have 3 years work experience after graduating you can apply for Schools Direct salaried positions. You can also apply for Teach First. They will let you teach your degree subject or any A level subjects you've got at least grade B in.

Both of these are salaried training routes.
Reply 4
Original post by Shelly_x
If you have 3 years work experience after graduating you can apply for Schools Direct salaried positions. You can also apply for Teach First. They will let you teach your degree subject or any A level subjects you've got at least grade B in.

Both of these are salaried training routes.

I've been employed in retail since I graduated but not in education. I want to teach Art but that isn't on the list of recruiting subjects on the Teach First website.
I've been employed in retail since I graduated but not in education. I want to teach Art but that isn't on the list of recruiting subjects on the Teach First website.

You just need to have worked for 3 years, it doesn't need to be in education. But schools direct salaried placements in art might be hard to come by.
Reply 6
I just had a look on UCAS and there is only a handful of salaried placements for Art and they're all in London (I live in the North West). Art isn't listed as a priority subject on the Department of Education website, yet is named as a key subject of the National Curriculum. Hoping they'll see sense in a few years time and put more funding into the Arts...
I just had a look on UCAS and there is only a handful of salaried placements for Art and they're all in London (I live in the North West). Art isn't listed as a priority subject on the Department of Education website, yet is named as a key subject of the National Curriculum. Hoping they'll see sense in a few years time and put more funding into the Arts...

I believe the bursaries are allocated to subjects where there is a shortage of teachers, not because the subject is more or less valued than another subject.
Reply 8
Original post by TraineeLynsey
I believe the bursaries are allocated to subjects where there is a shortage of teachers, not because the subject is more or less valued than another subject.

I understand why sciences, Maths, MFL, and so on are getting up to £20k as an initiative due to shortage of teachers, but Primary and English trainees are offered up to £9k to study. They are the two most competitive PGCE courses to get onto and definitely no shortage of teachers in those subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just because the courses are competitive to get on doesn't necessarily mean there's an excess of teachers around. The rate of thosejoining the profession needs to match or exceed the rate of this leaving . Plus of course the number of children in education is growing all the time.

I don't know the figures, all I'm saying is don't assume that because a lot of people apply to the PGCE that there are sufficient numbers of teachers around.
Just because the courses are competitive to get on doesn't necessarily mean there's an excess of teachers around. The rate of thosejoining the profession needs to match or exceed the rate of this leaving . Plus of course the number of children in education is growing all the time.

I don't know the figures, all I'm saying is don't assume that because a lot of people apply to the PGCE that there are sufficient numbers of teachers around.

Mmmm....Do you have any links supporting that statement?
You're joking, right?
Original post by Juichiro
Mmmm....Do you have any links supporting that statement?

You clearly don't keep up to date with any educational news if you need me to prove the fundamental fact that our population is growing.

"However, with primary school rolls expected to rise sharply in the next few years, 40 councils (26% of the total) were forecasting that they would have more pupils than their 2012/13 space provision by the start of the 2014/15 academic year, rising to 70 authorities (46%) in 2015/16, 93 (61%) in 2016/17 and 101 (66%) in 2017/18."
From
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/apr/06/school-places-crisis-labour

"London boroughs have been warning for some years that pupil numbers are growing at a faster rate in the capital that elsewhere in the country."
From http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/policylobbying/children/schools/primaryschools.htm"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23931974
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25432376
https://www.teachers.org.uk/edufacts/school-places-crisis
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9711816/Watchdog-warns-over-shortage-of-primary-school-places.html

And just because I can anticipate your argumentative response, you will note that at no point have I claimed there are sufficient school places for ALL of these children, but more money and extra places (and therefore extra teachers) have been put in place. (see above articles)
(edited 9 years ago)

You are absolutely spot on. My local authority is in an absolute whirlwind at the moment trying to plan for the number of 0-4 year olds who will need school places imminently - there's a capital building programme of £20 million that isn't nearly enough. We're looking at 70-100 extra teachers over the next 2-3 years.

And judging by the recruitment processes that I am regularly involved in (yes I know that's anecdotal but I've been involved in this process for over 10 years, plenty of time and experience in spotting trends) every year we have more places to fill and fewer good candidates to fill them. The turnover of teaching staff is becoming a significant issue in recruitment
(edited 9 years ago)
You clearly don't keep up to date with any educational news if you need me to prove the fundamental fact that our population is growing.

"However, with primary school rolls expected to rise sharply in the next few years, 40 councils (26% of the total) were forecasting that they would have more pupils than their 2012/13 space provision by the start of the 2014/15 academic year, rising to 70 authorities (46%) in 2015/16, 93 (61%) in 2016/17 and 101 (66%) in 2017/18."
From
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/apr/06/school-places-crisis-labour

"London boroughs have been warning for some years that pupil numbers are growing at a faster rate in the capital that elsewhere in the country."
From http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/policylobbying/children/schools/primaryschools.htm"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23931974
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25432376
https://www.teachers.org.uk/edufacts/school-places-crisis
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9711816/Watchdog-warns-over-shortage-of-primary-school-places.html

And just because I can anticipate your argumentative response, you will note that at no point have I claimed there are sufficient school places for ALL of these children, but more money and extra places (and therefore extra teachers) have been put in place. (see above articles)

lol Calm down. I was not going to give you any argumentative response. Why would you think otherwise? :tongue:

There is a difference between population growth and child population growth. The defining factor tends to be eldery population dynamics. So if there with a high enough elderly population death rate, high birth rates resulting in child population growth do not in fact result in population growth.

I knew that there was a high birth rate (mainly due to immigration) and I sort of knew that the elderly population was growing as well. Also, I did not know that the birth rate itself was growing. What I did not know was that this was happening at such a high pace that could be reliably detected and be a matter to take into account in short-term policies. At no point I distrusted what you said, I merely asked for info about it. :smile:
I'd just like to contribute by expressing my extreme annyance about the fact that there is no government bursary for Art and Design PGCEs. If I were planning to do a Design and Technology PGCE I'd be looking at a 12 grand bursary, what with my 1st class degree. :mad:
I obviously understand that Art teachers aren't in demand. I'm just wondering how everyone else funds their PGCE for subjects that aren't in demand such as PE, Drama, etc? I'm on a low salary in my current job but I will only get £6k from the student loans company (aside from £9k tuition fee loan) so would need to save another £7k just to cover the rest of my salary. That would take me a few years to save. How does everyone else manage it? It's putting me off doing a PGCE all together. But if I did Primary the bursary would cover my salary.
I know some people do their pgce part time/distance learning. Would that make it more affordable for you? I only know of them being available for primary, but I don't know about art :/
Reply 18
I obviously understand that Art teachers aren't in demand. I'm just wondering how everyone else funds their PGCE for subjects that aren't in demand such as PE, Drama, etc? I'm on a low salary in my current job but I will only get £6k from the student loans company (aside from £9k tuition fee loan) so would need to save another £7k just to cover the rest of my salary. That would take me a few years to save. How does everyone else manage it? It's putting me off doing a PGCE all together. But if I did Primary the bursary would cover my salary.

I'm confused, why does it need to cover your salary?
Would you be able to live off a loan? If so then that's the option...

I'm on 7k for the year and I'm okay.
Reply 19
I'm seriously questioning if I can afford to do a PGCE next year (assuming I get a place). I've run the numbers and once I've paid for my rent, various bills, transport etc I'll have next to nothing for the month to feed myself, pay for any course materials (the average text book costs £40) etc. My rent is very reasonable for London. I don't have anything posh like Sky tv etc. All this talk about you won't have time to go out... I won't afford to go out.

I'm 31. Last year in the PGCE interviews I was the oldest there. So, I do question if I am time limited. Yes, there are people older than myself getting places, but they are few and far between. All I can see to do is save for a few years until I will be able to fund it. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending