The Student Room Group

Are my choices alright?? ( low UKCAT)

So i am in a pretty bad situation...
GCSE: 5 A*, 5 A and 2 B
AS: AABAB (h.bio, maths, chem, chinese and f. maths)
A2 prediction: A*A*A
UKCAT:
VR:450
QR:680
AR:620
DA:549
:coma::coma::coma::coma::cry:

I will be resitting one of the chemistry modules, and the reason that I didn't do well was because my dad died suddenly 10 days before my exams, I was lost and couldn't control myself....
I prepared the Ukcat for about 1.5 month but still did rubbish...
So at the moment, my choices are :

Peninsula (i am an international student, they don't ask international student to do the ukcat)

UEA

liverpool

Bristol?? :confused:

Can anyone please tell me if my choices are rite? oh and do these unis look at the AS grades?
Is Chinese your native language? If it is some unis won't accept it as an AS level I believe...

If you applied to Leeds I reckon you'd have a good chance, it's just that they're doing the BMAT this year... :/
Bristol remember is ridiculously competitive so just watch out for that! :smile:
Reply 2
Yes! Chinese is my native language, but I've got further maths at AS level too, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I honestly don't think I can do well in the BMAT after doing so rubbish in the Ukcat, isn't BMAT a lot harder than ukcat?

What can I do now to improve my chance of getting an interview at Bristol?
(Though I think they will just reject me instantly when they see the B in my chem...)

Thanks a lot for your reply!!!

Original post by WishIHadRevised
Is Chinese your native language? If it is some unis won't accept it as an AS level I believe...

If you applied to Leeds I reckon you'd have a good chance, it's just that they're doing the BMAT this year... :/
Bristol remember is ridiculously competitive so just watch out for that! :smile:
Original post by mwu13
Yes! Chinese is my native language, but I've got further maths at AS level too, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I honestly don't think I can do well in the BMAT after doing so rubbish in the Ukcat, isn't BMAT a lot harder than ukcat?

(Though I think they will just reject me instantly when they see the B in my chem...)

Liverpool only takes maths or further maths AS level and I don't think they accept native language AS levels... :/
"Only one of Maths or Further Maths will be considered."

You can see it here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

East Anglia as well don't accept maths and further maths:
"Maths and Further Maths are not considered separate subjects."

So that leaves you with Bristol and Peninsula... please do check the requirements in the link just to check it out but that's my thoughts about it... have you thought about whether you want a PBL/Intergrated/Traditional course?

I've heard the BMAT is a bit harder but easier to revise for as it's all science based (only GCSE knowledge is required) none of the guessing BS in the UKCAT but it's your choice. :smile: Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by mwu13

I am very sorry to hear about your father - what a terrible thing to happen.

Bristol for UK applicants is 80% PS, but I don't know if it's the same for internationals. I think your best option is to ask the unis you are interested in whether they would accept an application after a gap year, if you take an A2 in that year and do well on the UKCAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending