The Student Room Group

A-Level Government and Politics - Power and Authority (PLEASE HELP?)

Could somebody please go over the definition of Power and Authority with examples of how each are excercised in the UK and other countries? This isn't a homework question, just a topic I can't quiet get my head around and would really like to make sure I know it properly.

Thank you!
Original post by gaslight182
Could somebody please go over the definition of Power and Authority with examples of how each are excercised in the UK and other countries? This isn't a homework question, just a topic I can't quiet get my head around and would really like to make sure I know it properly.

Thank you!

Heya, I'm going to put this in the Government & Politics forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=276
Reply 2
Power is a complex concept the more you study it. Most simply it is the ability to get something done- parliament have the power to make legislation. They also have the authority to do it, they are overlapping concepts. Most simply authority is power that is perceived to be legitimate. So it is accepted that parliament are the ones who should be making laws so they have authority. If the army took over and started making laws they would have the power to do so but not the authority.

I don't want to write an essay so ask a more specific question if there's something in beyond that you are struggling with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending