The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Things you wish you knew before starting uni

Title says it all

Also, how far are each of the student villages from the uni buildings? Can you walk there realistically?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pritchatt's is about 10-15 minutes' walk from the main campus, The Vale is 10-25 minutes depending on where you live. If you're at the top of The Vale, in Elgar or Maple, you'll have the longest walk; if you're near the bottom in Mason or Tennis Courts you'll have the shortest walk. Although a lot of it will depend on where you have to be on campus too. Selly Oak (Jarratt & Victoria Halls) are literally just across the road so it'll take you 10 minutes max to get to where you need to be. The other third party halls are dotted around and I think are a bit further away.

You can easily walk from Pritchatt's, The Vale or Selly Oak to main campus.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by BlueSheep32
Pritchatt's is about 10-15 minutes' walk from the main campus, The Vale is 10-25 minutes depending on where you live. If you're at the top of The Vale, in Elgar or Maple, you'll have the longest walk; if you're near the bottom in Mason or Tennis Courts you'll have the shortest walk. Although a lot of it will depend on where you have to be on campus too. Selly Oak (Jarratt & Victoria Halls) are literally just across the road so it'll take you 10 minutes max to get to where you need to be. The other third party halls are dotted around and I think are a bit further away.

You can easily walk from Pritchatt's, The Vale or Selly Oak to main campus.

Where did you live? What was your experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IAmEchelon
Where did you live? What was your experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean my experience in general, or my experience with getting to uni?

I lived in Maple Bank and it took me about half an hour to get to and from uni at the start of first year, but by the end I'd cut it down to a bit less than 20 minutes :tongue: I didn't mind the walking, and I actually lost a bit of weight because of it, but it was still long enough so that there was no point in going back between lectures which could be a bit annoying at times (although Meal Plan made it convenient because I didn't have to take a packed lunch and it meant I got to know people because we were all hanging around on campus between lectures). And the top of the Vale is actually closer to Five Ways station than University. Tesco (& now Morrison's) was also quite a walk away, about 15-20 minutes, but as I was on Meal Plan I didn't need to go that often.
Reply 4
Do you mean my experience in general, or my experience with getting to uni?

I lived in Maple Bank and it took me about half an hour to get to and from uni at the start of first year, but by the end I'd cut it down to a bit less than 20 minutes :tongue: I didn't mind the walking, and I actually lost a bit of weight because of it, but it was still long enough so that there was no point in going back between lectures which could be a bit annoying at times (although Meal Plan made it convenient because I didn't have to take a packed lunch and it meant I got to know people because we were all hanging around on campus between lectures). And the top of the Vale is actually closer to Five Ways station than University. Tesco (& now Morrison's) was also quite a walk away, about 15-20 minutes, but as I was on Meal Plan I didn't need to go that often.

At the uni in general

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the uni in general

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really like it here & I'm glad I chose to come here over other universities. If you want me to elaborate on that you'll have to be a bit more specific though because there are so many different things I could talk about.
Reply 6
I really like it here & I'm glad I chose to come here over other universities. If you want me to elaborate on that you'll have to be a bit more specific though because there are so many different things I could talk about.

What's the one factor that made you pick Birmingham over the others?
Is it a cheap place to live?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the one factor that made you pick Birmingham over the others?
Is it a cheap place to live?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess it was just the feeling I got on the open day - like it was definitely the right place for me, if that makes sense? I liked the look of the course and the department, all of the student ambassadors I spoke to were really enthusiastic about it, I thought the campus and the surrounding area in Edgbaston was really nice, and I liked the fact that it's a campus uni within a city so you have the campus uni lifestyle but can easily get to a big city if you want to (you could even walk to the city centre if you really wanted to, but most people get the train which is currently £1.50 return and takes 10 minutes). The location and the fact they offered an undergraduate masters course was what made me choose Birmingham over Warwick (my next favourite uni, who do actually offer an undergrad masters now).

Generally it's quite cheap, if you know what you should be looking for in a house then you can avoid getting ripped off by landlords and rents are usually pretty low (probably about £80 a week on average, not including bills). Halls are expensive but the vast majority of people only live in halls in first year.
tennis hall was a great hall to be in, mid priced and about 10 mins from campus. most flats there are 5 room.

the campus itself is great, lots of places to meet up and study.

i chose it over reading as it has a higher reputation plus it has loads of sports facilities as its got quite a lot of money to spend! you'll meet loads of people because its such a big uni!

i've now moved into private accommodation and its £85 a week (full years rent though :frown: ), quite a shabby area but within walking distance again :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by woodchuck
tennis hall was a great hall to be in, mid priced and about 10 mins from campus. most flats there are 5 room.

the campus itself is great, lots of places to meet up and study.

i chose it over reading as it has a higher reputation plus it has loads of sports facilities as its got quite a lot of money to spend! you'll meet loads of people because its such a big uni!

i've now moved into private accommodation and its £85 a week (full years rent though :frown: ), quite a shabby area but within walking distance again :smile:

Is tennis halls ensuite and self catered?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is tennis halls ensuite and self catered?

Posted from TSR Mobile

a small number are en suite , most are not en suite though, its about £1000 more for en suite. you get to choose whether you want en suite when you apply!

as for self catered, there may be an option, but i didnt come across anyone who had catered. it would be quite expensive so most just go self catered.
Reply 11
Bump

Anymore things people wish they knew?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I live in pritchatts park (oakley court) and I think its great
like I can leave the flat at 8.45 and be in my lecture for 9 (I cycle in, having a bike is so useful)
and I like the size of the flat, we have a great kitchen and generally there are always people around
although one thing, there aren't shops that close by, you can walk to harborne (about 10/15 mins) and theres iceland and home bargains and sainsburys local (and m&s and waitrose but who can afford those) and then theres the spar and a veg market on campus in uni, and past uni theres aldi
I think victoria halls (maybe jaratt I cant remember) is good for shops, aldi is really close)
I think catered is good if you dont have too many contact hours, if you dont finish till after 5 (for me thats 3 days a week) almost all the places on campus that you can use meal plan are closed which my friend finds very inconvenient

things I wish I knew
idk- dont drink a litre of vodka in one go, it makes you throw up a lot
and condoms are a thing that should be used

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending