The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting into Ivy Leagu

I want to apply to IVY league and i want to know my chances with these current grades and ECs.

AS Level: 2A 2B
A2 Predicted: AAA
SAT: 2280
SAT Subject Tests: Maths 2:780 French W/Listening: 800
ECS: Volunteering
Tutoring
IFS Student Investor 1st place.
Club Committee at school.
Rugby 10 years
Football 10 years
Cricket 8 years
Piano Grade 6

Miscellaneous Information: 1st person in family to attend college.
History of mental disability.
Saved someone's life

Scroll to see replies

Original post by philliar97
I want to apply to IVY league and i want to know my chances with these current grades and ECs.

AS Level: 2A 2B
A2 Predicted: AAA
SAT: 2280
SAT Subject Tests: Maths 2:780 French W/Listening: 800
ECS: Volunteering
Tutoring
IFS Student Investor 1st place.
Club Committee at school.
Rugby 10 years
Football 10 years
Cricket 8 years
Piano Grade 6

Miscellaneous Information: 1st person in family to attend college.
History of mental disability.
Saved someone's life

Do you have lots of money? If so, yes.
lol saved someones life
Reply 3
bump
Reply 4
Well, you do have achance, your SAT score is very good. I would try for Dartmouth if i were you. but this raises the question onto why do you really want to go to an IVY league school. The IVY league isn't special, it was only formed due to the fact that these universities used to have sporting tournaments against each other.

You can go to so many other good American universities, in which you wont have to take even half the pressure. Lets say you got into Dartmouth or Columbia. In those universities you would be average to bellow average. You would be far better suited to go to another university where you can be at the top. So all I need to know in order to advise you on what uni to go to is what subject did you do at AS, and what course do you want to do an uni?
Reply 5
Original post by MSZYM
Well, you do have achance, your SAT score is very good. I would try for Dartmouth if i were you. but this raises the question onto why do you really want to go to an IVY league school. The IVY league isn't special, it was only formed due to the fact that these universities used to have sporting tournaments against each other.

You can go to so many other good American universities, in which you wont have to take even half the pressure. Lets say you got into Dartmouth or Columbia. In those universities you would be average to bellow average. You would be far better suited to go to another university where you can be at the top. So all I need to know in order to advise you on what uni to go to is what subject did you do at AS, and what course do you want to do an uni?

I studied History, Maths, French and Economics at AS and I want to study Economics at uni
Reply 6
You might stand a fair chance at the lower-league ivies(i.e. Dartmouth;Cornell,Penn maybe etc).
However,as far as the holy trinity goes i'm not entirely sure those AS grades would cut it.You do have very decent SAT scores and quite a few extracurriculars ,so if you dwell on any extenuating circumstances in your PS you might become one of the minority-type applicants that get in with sub-par grades.
No harm in trying right?There's no limit to how many you can apply for and, if you can afford the $50 application fee, I can't see why you wouldn't give all of them a go.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by P357
You might stand a fair chance at the lower-league ivies(i.e. Dartmouth;Cornell,Penn maybe etc).
However,as far as the holy trinity goes i'm not entirely sure those AS grades would cut it.You do have very decent SAT scores and quite a few extracurriculars ,so if you dwell on any extenuating circumstances in your PS you might become one of the minority-type applicants that get in with sub-par grades.
No harm in trying right?There's no limit to how many you can apply for and, if you can afford the $50 application fee, I can't see why you wouldn't give all of them a go.

Yeah i think i'll apply to most of them and if not wait for my A2's which should be much better than AS.

Thanks for the advice though
Reply 8
Yeah i think i'll apply to most of them and if not wait for my A2's which should be much better than AS.

Thanks for the advice though

Yeah but none the less, my point remains that getting into any of the IVY wont do anything, they aren't special in any way.

If you want apply to them, there is no harm you just need to write as essay for them. If i were you i would apply to the following universities, (i am taking into consideration of all your achievements as yet)

1) California, berkley
2) Chicago
3) Pennsylvania
4) Columbia
5) NYU
6) UCLA
7) Northwestern
8) Cornell

I think NYU, Columbia and Chicago should be your primary focus. Getting into any of these universities would be awesome as they are excellent for economics. Also consider doing SAT subject tests, do math 2 and Econ.
Reply 9
Was just wondering if anyone had any good links to information about American Uni's? I've found plenty on the web for English (of course) but nothing on American uni's...
Reply 10
Original post by MSZYM
Yeah but none the less, my point remains that getting into any of the IVY wont do anything, they aren't special in any way.

If you want apply to them, there is no harm you just need to write as essay for them. If i were you i would apply to the following universities, (i am taking into consideration of all your achievements as yet)

1) California, berkley
2) Chicago
3) Pennsylvania
4) Columbia
5) NYU
6) UCLA
7) Northwestern
8) Cornell

I think NYU, Columbia and Chicago should be your primary focus. Getting into any of these universities would be awesome as they are excellent for economics. Also consider doing SAT subject tests, do math 2 and Econ.

Technically,OP can apply to as many unis as he wants to-there's no limit like you'd get with the UK application system. So hey,if he's hell-bent on getting into an ivy just for the sake of it, he might as well go through with it so that he doesn't regret it further down the line. It may or may not be a somewhat sad fact of life,but employers do get swayed by the whole ivy prestige thing, quite often.

Having said that ,OP consider the fact that some schools actually have better reputations than some of the "lesser" ivies. Stanford being one such example.What i'm trying to get at here is that you should take some other factors into account,besides the "ivy prestige" obvs. My older brother rejected cornell for duke(economics major) and is currently at wharton. So y'knw,do your best with your A2's and apply to as many universities as you like,but keep in mind that the ivy league is really not quite as sacred as it's made out to be.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by AdamCee
Was just wondering if anyone had any good links to information about American Uni's? I've found plenty on the web for English (of course) but nothing on American uni's...

Fullbright Commission.
Original post by P357
Fullbright Commission.

Quality. Cheers.

Also, does anyone know (purely out of interest) - is it possible to apply for both English and American uni's? I assume you can't under the UCAS system but worth a shot I guess?
Reply 13
Original post by AdamCee
Quality. Cheers.

Also, does anyone know (purely out of interest) - is it possible to apply for both English and American uni's? I assume you can't under the UCAS system but worth a shot I guess?

You massive noob :biggrin:.

Your UCAS application won't have anything to do with your US schools' application.You apply to the latter independently through the given school. So if you're interested in saaaaay NYU,you'd go on their website and check their requirements and what they want you to send them etc etc.
Original post by P357
You massive noob :biggrin:.

Your UCAS application won't have anything to do with your US schools' application.You apply to the latter independently through the given school. So if you're interested in saaaaay NYU,you'd go on their website and check their requirements and what they want you to send them etc etc.

Sorry for not being an expert in US uni's, given that my very mild interest in them has spanned for approximately half an hour :P

Right, got it.. I think. Cheers :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by ThatPerson
Technically yes, but the cost of each application is prohibitive (~$80/application), unless you can get a fee waiver.

I would apply to a maximum of around 6 US Universities.

$80 huh?Must've gone up then.

Well yeah,I did say that if he can afford the application fee he may as well.
Reply 16
Original post by MSZYM

1) California, berkley
2) Chicago
3) Pennsylvania
4) Columbia
5) NYU
6) UCLA
7) Northwestern
8) Cornell

You can't do an Econ subject tests but Im doing math 2 and french. Funnily enough, those top 4 you have listed are actually my favourite even though they're not all ivy league. However I'm not so sure I could reject Ivy League for Chicago and berkeley purely because Ivy league is more reputable and employer's will be more wiling to hire from them
Reply 17
You can't do an Econ subject tests but Im doing math 2 and french. Funnily enough, those top 4 you have listed are actually my favourite even though they're not all ivy league. However I'm not so sure I could reject Ivy League for Chicago and berkeley purely because Ivy league is more reputable and employer's will be more wiling to hire from them

Okay, but man, the uni isn't always the most important thing. You have to consider other things. Tell me something, how many people do you know from Harvard that are rich as hell right now?

You know i have councillor who studied in Harvard! a councillor! So my point is that just because you go to a good uni doesn't mean that you will be successful. CEO of Apple went to some **** uni.

I have nothing against the IVY league universities, its just that there will be so much competition and pressure that you may end up dropping out.

Also, do you really think you can get a job by doing economics? If you do economics, you will have two choices, do your bachelor and then teach. Or spend 8-10 years of your life trying to get a masters or PhD, and becoming an economist. As you want a good job then you would probably have to spend 10-12 to get a PhD.

If you are so job orientated, then why are you even doing economics? People only do mainstream subjects if they really enjoy them, such as myself - i don't care about my job in the future I just love chemistry and i want to learn it. So if you care so much about having a good job you would be better of doing accounting, business management, administration, finance, etc. since you don't have any science you can't do engineering.

I may have said all of this for nothing if you intend to do Law, unless you intend to do law after economics, i don't get why you are doing it.
College confidential is like the US version of TSR. Here are "League Tables" for US Universities
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities?int=9ff208
Have fun.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MSZYM
Okay, but man, the uni isn't always the most important thing. You have to consider other things. Tell me something, how many people do you know from Harvard that are rich as hell right now?

You know i have councillor who studied in Harvard! a councillor! So my point is that just because you go to a good uni doesn't mean that you will be successful. CEO of Apple went to some **** uni.

I have nothing against the IVY league universities, its just that there will be so much competition and pressure that you may end up dropping out.

Also, do you really think you can get a job by doing economics? If you do economics, you will have two choices, do your bachelor and then teach. Or spend 8-10 years of your life trying to get a masters or PhD, and becoming an economist. As you want a good job then you would probably have to spend 10-12 to get a PhD.

If you are so job orientated, then why are you even doing economics? People only do mainstream subjects if they really enjoy them, such as myself - i don't care about my job in the future I just love chemistry and i want to learn it. So if you care so much about having a good job you would be better of doing accounting, business management, administration, finance, etc. since you don't have any science you can't do engineering.

I may have said all of this for nothing if you intend to do Law, unless you intend to do law after economics, i don't get why you are doing it.

This is the most stupid post I've ever read in my life. Yes it is important to enjoy the subject you're studying and I agree with that, but why do you think you can only get a good job if you do the subjects you've listed? Economics is a better degree to do if you want to go into any of the professions you've listed there due to its rigour and high maths content. Also, its such a broad subject that you can go into almost any industry with an economics degree. Its respected SO much more by employers than the subjects you've listed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending