The Student Room Group

Mature student uni applicant

Hi everyone,

I am currently pursuing my A-levels via self study method. This means that I am not signed up to any colleges or schools to study. The reason for this is due to the fact that I am a mature student and am working full-time during the day and some weekends. So my study time is limited to evenings at home.

I am studying A levels Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Economics, and Business Studies. I received my AS level results last month and I was lucky enough to get 4A*s. I am hoping to apply to Oxford or Cambridge for either Economics or PPE programs that they have in respective institutions.

My intention in the future is to pursue for a PHD in economics and be involved in some economic research or work for an economic think tank (Adam Smith Institute maybe?).

My question is this. The fact that I am not studying my a levels via any institution, would I be at a disadvantage as I don't have any academic referees for my UCAS application??

Kind Regards,
Khairi
That would be kind of tricky. I am in a similar situation except I have a couple of personal tutors who I do a lesson on each subject every month with. Just give the universities and see what they say. I know from speaking to them several times that they are more than understanding of the fact that mature students applications will not always be 'normal'.

Just out of curiosity, how did you manage 4 A*s at AS level?
Hi MouseyBrown,

Thank you for your reply. I will give those universities a call. Hopefully it's not much of an issue. You mentioned that you have a tutor to go over each subject with you each month. Is it through private tutoring or college? Are they going to be your referee for your uni application?

I managed to get 4A*s through much sacrifice and being really organised. I don't have other obligations apart from work. It was tough but do-able. Had to say goodbye to social life though.

Kind Regards,
Khairi
Original post by khairiiskandar
Hi MouseyBrown,

Thank you for your reply. I will give those universities a call. Hopefully it's not much of an issue. You mentioned that you have a tutor to go over each subject with you each month. Is it through private tutoring or college? Are they going to be your referee for your uni application?

I managed to get 4A*s through much sacrifice and being really organised. I don't have other obligations apart from work. It was tough but do-able. Had to say goodbye to social life though.

Kind Regards,
Khairi

Yeah, it's through Keystone Tutors and they will do my reference for me.

What I mean was how did you get A* at AS. You can only get A* after completing A2!
Hi again,

Eek! Just realised what I did there. I got 4As for AS. Not 4A*s.

Clearly not a desired Oxbridge candidate.

Kind Regards,
Khairi
Ha no worries! Post on here how your application goes. I'm in a pretty much identical situation: mature student sitting 4 AS levels, but not until next summer cause I actually decided to sit all my GCSEs again this summer and January. I'm curious to see how other mature students get in with Oxbridge applications.

Quick Reply

Latest