"I got an A for P1" What da hell dus that meen?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
This is regarding the maths modules.I dont get it what dus it meen to get an A for P3 or M1? dus it have any meening? Isnt it only the mark u shood be interested in? for example if 80 was an A a student cood theoretically get 5B's and an A and still end up with a Mathematics A Grade. On the other hand another cood get 5A's and a B grade and end up witha B grade.they say edexcel will bring down the pass mark for P3 this time(so that mayb an A is about 75/100) welldus that amke sense? in the end u shood hav 480 out of 600 for an A grade. it dusnt matter whether the pass for an A grade is 55 for P3 or 95! Im confused! any body to untie my knots?!
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You're right, the grade in the individual modules is irrelavent.

For example getting an AAB in the first 3 modules does NOT neccessarily mean you can sit back on a ABB for the second 3, to get the A. It very much depends how good an A, or how bad/good a B (A/B border, or B/C border you got).

The important bits are the numbers:

After 6 Units (A Level) you need those numbers to add up to:

A 480
B 420
C 360
D 300
E 240

After 3 Units (AS Level)

A 240
B 210
C 180
D 150
E 120

What you can start saying is what you are guarenteed, for example if after the AS year in one subject you have 252 marks, you can say you have at least an E at A Level, and can easily calculate that you need a further 228 marks for an A. etc

Ignore any conversion in to grades until final results, when you have to put 3 (AS) or 6 (A) units together. Those are the ones that matter.
Jac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Within the particular module if someone achieves say 55/75, this is considered 80/100 UMS, as opposed to 60/75 which is actually 805 in raw marks. It means that modules are scaled according to the proportion of people getting certain ranges of marks, so that you do not have everyone getting below a B, rather those who have done better but only achieved say 65 or 70% get 80% as their final grade and those who achiever 75 or 80% for example get 95/100 or 100/100 on their final UMS mark.
Hope that helps
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
For the final A2 result for maths, you count the overall total out of 600 (for AS, out of 300). Each module is out of 100, and if it's a hard paper, your mark might get scaled up, but you don't know how much by. I think that it is difficult to get 5 Bs and an A and come out with an A, just because you'd have to get extremely high Bs (like 1 mark off), amd an extrememly high A, (almost 100 percent). But yeah, I guess it's still possible.
Jac
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
79 * 5 = 395
480-395 = 85

thats 5 B's at 79, and one A at 85
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
they say edexcel will bring down the pass mark for P3 this time(so that mayb an A is about 75/100) welldus that amke sense? in the end u shood hav 480 out of 600 for an A grade. it dusnt matter whether the pass for an A grade is 55 for P3 or 95! Im confused! any body to untie my knots?!
What they will do if the whole nation found it hard will bring the threshold of raw marks (those scored on the paper) down, for the equivalent mark on the UMS (where you need 480 out of 600 for an A over all)

Out of a paper worth 100 UMS marks, ie where each module counts for exactly 1/6 of the A Level, the number of points needed for an A is ALWAYS 80.

What changes is the number of marks needed from the PAPER to get this.

Take as a practical example the first ever sitting of AQAs Pure 1 paper in June 2001, AQAs papers are sat out of 60 marks. But each count for 100 on the UMS.

The paper was seen as very hard, the modal score was infact ZERO.

There fore the threshold for an E grade was brought right down to 13, this still counted for 40 UMS marks, at the other end, it was 37 marks for an A, which still counted for 80 UMS marks.

Since then, January 2003, Pure 1, E grade 22/60 (40 UMS), A grade 44/60 (80 UMS).

It is the UMS marks that need to add up to 480, 420, 360, 300, 240 - you are not penalised if they bring the pass-threshold of raw marks down - indeed quite to the contrary, you should benefit.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Im not exactly sure but havent yall herd people getting 79% or 75% as results an when asked say that they actually have an A.By the way what if a scenario like this takes place. lets say a person dus five modules and decides do the 6th later. On results day he has got over 480 out of 500! dus he hav to do the 6th module? to get a grade ? or can he stop at that?
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
First of all, 480/500 would be a remarkable result.

You have to be ENTERED for the 6th module. But wouldn't have to sit it. You'd pick up a ZERO, and would take 480/600, an A.

Dangerous though, just incase something moved at the last minute. These are British exam boards remember, anything can happen.

Well the rough guide for raw marks, for an A is 80 %, B is 70 %, C 60 %, D 50 % E 40 % etc, hense UMS scores out of 100 reflect this.

If the paper and the candidates are consistant, this model should work in being able to calculate the thresholds for raw marks required.

As discussed earlier the boundary will move dependant on the batch of students and the paper. So it is perfectly feasible for someone to get 75 % on a paper (raw) and come out with an A.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Also, people see their results and think that 75/100 on the UMS means they got 75% of the raw marks. But like Expression said, it depends on the paper and the students, etc.
Jac
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeh, it is possible. I had that with my computing, I went into my last Computing exam needing 0/90 as I had already done 5 mods and achieved 486/510. Despite not revising I still gave the paper a good go just for the sake of getting good marks in the final UMS score out fo 600.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Oklets say the whole nation does badly on a module. lets say UMS 100 comes down to about 65/75. so isnt that in a way unfair for the person who may hav got 75 or 72.His 10 mark effort has not yielded him anything! (I gess hell never know bout it and be happy bout the 100 he got. but if he had missed a good grade by a mere 2 or 3 marks for the wholeof Math woodnt it be ina way unfair?)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
well if he gets 480/500 for maths (lets say he also dus furyher maths). Cant he just do the 6th modukle and virtually,"pluck" it out of the maths course and include as a module in his further math course? if he cant do that and lets say he dus badly in one of his further maths mods (lets say S3 since it can be in both courses) Can he "exchange" that module with the 6th module in maths?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
What happens with Maths modules is that they're automatically combined to give the best possible grade in your A Level, using the lowest possible marks (something like that anyway). This only happens for the applied modules by the way.
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
What happens with Maths modules is that they're automatically combined to give the best possible grade in your A Level, using the lowest possible marks (something like that anyway). This only happens for the applied modules by the way.
Unfortunatly what our guest here says is true.

Obviously the subject in which the pure modules go is fixed. The exam board then have to look at your applied units and pick firstly a legal combination which yields the best possible GRADE for Maths, using the least number of UMS Marks. (Spare UMS marks cannot be carried as a remainder once you get past 480, sadly) - the remaining modules will then be put together to give you Further Maths.

So for someone who needs B, B in Maths and Further for University, you could well get the UMS marks required to get B, B (840), but come out with A, C because of the way the board combine the results.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
ive alredy done P1 - P3 and M1 - M3.(M2 in another 24 hours!) lets say i got a good mark for M3. I also do further maths. lets say i got a real bad mark for M4 in further maths.is it possible for me to replace the M4 in the maths course and take M3 as a further math mod?
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't know what the legal combinations on your exam board are. All I know is that my previous comment is true whatever exam board you are on.

You have no say over what applied units are used to make up your Maths and Further Maths once you have sat them. Provided it is a legal combination, the exam board will look after your Mathematics grade first, using the least amount of UMS marks as possible, and then put whatever is left together (providing that this is ALSO a legal combination).

One thing I know for a fact, taking AQA as an example you can't have S2 and M2 in Maths, and S1 and M1 in Further. You can however have M1 and M2 in Maths and S1 and S2 in Further, or visa verca. These are all things the computers at the exam board will figure out for you.

All you do is sit the papers, they decide what you come out with.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Edexcel's website says you must have 3 applied units, including at least one A2 unit for A Level Maths:

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/qualificat....aspx?id=48788

For A Level Further Maths, the Compulsory Units are P4 and P5 and of the other 4, at least 3 must be applied and at least 3 must be A2 units:

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/qualificat....aspx?id=48779
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
SO IF SOMEONE GETS 479 OUTA 600 IS IT A "b"? oR ARE THEY GONNA PUSH HIM THROUGH TO AN "a"
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
BTW WATS THE HIGHEST TOTALS OUTTA 600 FOR MATH ANYONE HAS REALLY EVER HERD ABOUT? ALSO HAV URL HERD THE MOST DISMAL SCORES?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Yep 479 would be a B. Rules are rules, the exam board requires 480 for an A, and being one mark short is exactly that.

Highest totals? Well, I know of a friend who got (in UMS) P1: 100, P2: 100, P3: 93, M1: 100, M2: 100, S1: 100 for Further Maths last year. So that would be 593/600. I'm sure there are people who have gotten 600/600 before.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (310)
34.33%
No (593)
65.67%

Watched Threads