The Student Room Group

Work experience with a full time job

Hi everyone

My plan is working full time, starting a part time access course next year and then applying for vet med in 2017. I want to get as much work experience as possible but can't really get the time off work. It's 9-5 Monday-friday.

Does anyone have any ideas for work experience around my schedule?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doofy
Hi everyone

My plan is working full time, starting a part time access course next year and then applying for vet med in 2017. I want to get as much work experience as possible but can't really get the time off work. It's 9-5 Monday-friday.

Does anyone have any ideas for work experience around my schedule?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you do work experience on weekends for farms, catteries etc which are open 7 days a week? Or maybe you can find an evening job to free your day time to do work experience? You should also have paid holidays if you work full time- so you can use this to gain work experience in vet practises that are only open mon-fri. If your employer will allow, you could ask for unpaid holiday over and above your entitlement (though this may be refused).

It's probably possible, but you will have to manage your time very well if you wish to study, work and do work experience all at once!
Reply 2
Completely understand where you're coming from; I'm in school from 8:30 to 15:40 then I work from 4 till 6. Afraid there's no easy way around it except to try and combine your paid employment with your work experience,
i.e. work in a kennels, stables or farm because the alternative is trying to slot in odd days over a number of weekends and holidays, but don't be afraid to take advantage of bank holidays and maybe get 2 or 3 days at a time- its better than nothing
Reply 3
Original post by Treen98
Completely understand where you're coming from; I'm in school from 8:30 to 15:40 then I work from 4 till 6. Afraid there's no easy way around it except to try and combine your paid employment with your work experience,
i.e. work in a kennels, stables or farm because the alternative is trying to slot in odd days over a number of weekends and holidays, but don't be afraid to take advantage of bank holidays and maybe get 2 or 3 days at a time- its better than nothing

I've managed to secure some weekends at an emergency vets clinic so that's a positive :smile: Got two years til my application goes off so fingers crossed :P

Hope yours goes well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending