RN Officer Branches Watch

defender90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I am looking into joining the Royal Navy as an officer next year once I complete my MEng in Mechanical Engineering. My first thought was to join as an Air Engineering Officer but I am worried that this could leave me pigeon-holed on the air side and stunt promotion opportunities, i.e. would it be possible to rise to the position of commanding a ship? If not what would be the ideal branch to join as an officer to theoretically lead to a ship command 15-20 years down the line?

Thanks,
Pete
ProStacker
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Engineers tend not to captain ships. Engineering Officers are there to manage engineering and that's the same in all 3 Services. I've never heard of an EngO being a captain. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but I've never heard of it. Also, as there are different sizes of ships, people can get command at different ranks. The likes of EngOs have command of personnel, from being a JEngO on a flying Squadron, through to a SEngO (hundreds of personnel under command) and beyond.
Each Branch has it's own Officers at each rank and you tend to get promoted within that structure. There are some open competition posts that are All Branch but most of your posts will be within the specialization you work within.

Go to a Careers Office and start talking to the RN recruiters and do lots more reading about roles and responsibilities. Basing your whole future career on something you'd only do for a couple of years is not great.
georgeheal
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by defender90)
Hi,

I am looking into joining the Royal Navy as an officer next year once I complete my MEng in Mechanical Engineering. My first thought was to join as an Air Engineering Officer but I am worried that this could leave me pigeon-holed on the air side and stunt promotion opportunities, i.e. would it be possible to rise to the position of commanding a ship? If not what would be the ideal branch to join as an officer to theoretically lead to a ship command 15-20 years down the line?

Thanks,
Pete
If what to command a ship you are best going in as warfare office. If you what to happen faster join sub service

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (69)
8.14%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.71%
No, but I want to start (313)
36.91%
No, I am unable to (212)
25%
No, I chose not to (231)
27.24%