The Student Room Group

Study in Canada

Hello,
I want to study in Canada but i'm scared that they might no accept me, i'm not exactly an A* student, i want to study Medicine however, i don't know if there are any good Universities that may accept me, but my main university at the moment is University o fBritish Columbia Okanagan and i really want to go there.
Reply 1
Original post by Precciep
Hello,
I want to study in Canada but i'm scared that they might no accept me, i'm not exactly an A* student, i want to study Medicine however, i don't know if there are any good Universities that may accept me, but my main university at the moment is University o fBritish Columbia Okanagan and i really want to go there.

Moved to a better section for you :h:
Reply 2
In Canada, medicine is post degree entry only. So in other words you will need a 4 year honours bachelors degree as well as the relevant pre-requisites and a competitive MCAT score as well as a competitive final average (usually for the last 2 years) for your degree.
Reply 3
You have zero chance of studying medicine in canada, even with an undergrad degree the chance is like 0.000001%.
I am not sure if UBC Okanagan is easier, but UBC Vancouver med school is EXTREMELY competitive.

I graduated from UBCV (engineering), so I know quite a few people who studied biology or biochem trying to get into med school (since it's post-degree). I only know 1 person that made it, and most of them have insanely high grades.

I don't know much about UBCO, but the place is beautiful. It's a bit far from Vancouver (which is the nearest big city), so it's not nearly as popular. It's less competitive because of that.

Okanagan valley is absolutely gorgeous, though. Weather is very nice, mountains on both sides, and quite a few ponds. People there are very nice, too (based on my couple hours in Penticton).

Kelowna (where UBCO is) is slowly becoming a big city, though.

I'm not sure if the degree from UBCO will be any different from UBCV. Would be awesome if they are the same, since a UBC med degree is very highly regarded in Canada.
Reply 5
Thank you very much for your advice, I hope I do get in, I'm working really hard and planning on getting good grades, IB is tough and my counsellor told me that I can get in if the grades for my mocks are really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
But it's not exactly medicine!... I'm going into health sciences though, do I still have a chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Precciep
But it's not exactly medicine!... I'm going into health sciences though, do I still have a chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh! In that case it's much easier. I don't know much about it, though.
Reply 8
Original post by 8472
Moved to a better section for you :h:

Thank You :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending