Turn on thread page Beta

OCR chemistry A2 practical plan watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing this plan for this exam board?

Got to determine the standard enthalpy change of the following reaction via an indirect route.

Cu(s) + 2Hcl(aq) ------> CuCl2(aq) + H2

It gives a clue of using two reactions, one of which being the displacement of copper from copper (II) chloride. Apparently the best way to do it to use zinc, then construct a Hess' cycle? Can anyone help?

x

ReputationRep:
    theres alredy quite a big thread on this from a few days ago

hmmm you should try working it out for yerself really.....but what the hell:

- Use calorimeter experiment (polystyrene cup blah blah etc)
    - Use Zinc to displace CuCl2 (you need to do a prelim to understand why zinc is the best metal to displace copper)
    - Zn + CuCl2 ----> ZnCl2 + Cu
    - Now work out the other reaction for yourself!
    (hint: how else can you form ZnCl2 + another chemical e.g. one that relates to a chemical in the reaction Cu(s) + 2Hcl(aq) ------> CuCl2(aq) + H2?)
    - Draw up an energy cycle
    - Find ∆H using : ∆H = mxCpx∆T
    - NOTE THAT THIS IS FROM AS CHEMISTRY 1 and NOT A2 Chemistry 2, which I find VERY VERY silly!!!

Ok thats all I can tell you for now, if u have more questions, do feel free to ask me providing they are not ones where I do all the work for you (e.g. "Can you show me yer method..."). Please dont constantly pm me, coz the chances are yer teacher is gonna be more helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel-Dude)
    hmmm you should try working it out for yerself really.....but what the hell:

- Use calorimeter experiment (polystyrene cup blah blah etc)
    - Use Zinc to displace CuCl2 (you need to do a prelim to understand why zinc is the best metal to displace copper)
    - Zn + CuCl2 ----> ZnCl2 + Cu
    - Now work out the other reaction for yourself!
    (hint: how else can you form ZnCl2 + another chemical e.g. one that relates to a chemical in the reaction Cu(s) + 2Hcl(aq) ------> CuCl2(aq) + H2?)
    - Draw up an energy cycle
    - Find ?H using : ?H = mxCpx?T
    - NOTE THAT THIS IS FROM AS CHEMISTRY 1 and NOT A2 Chemistry 2, which I find VERY VERY silly!!!

Ok thats all I can tell you for now, if u have more questions, do feel free to ask me providing they are not ones where I do all the work for you (e.g. "Can you show me yer method..."). Please dont constantly pm me, coz the chances are yer teacher is gonna be more helpful.
    Why is zinc peferable to magnesium i trialed magnesium and found no problems

lol, in that case your trial was well mucked up! I suggest retry with fresh samples, oh and perhaps a few protective shields......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel-Dude)
    lol, in that case your trial was well mucked up! I suggest retry with fresh samples, oh and perhaps a few protective shields......
    You dont have to use conc HCL, did you?

ReputationRep:
    Since this takes place in an aqueous solution try writing two separate half cell equations and then convert deltal E to delta G.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCT)
    Since this takes place in an aqueous solution try writing two separate half cell equations and then convert deltal E to delta G.
    delta G? if you mean gibbs free energy we dont do it in OCR

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.