The Student Room Group

Torrent downloading UK

Hey, someone told me that since this summer you can download TV shows and other stuff using torrents in the UK and nothing will happen to you. Is this actually true?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/new-internet-piracy-warning-letters-rules-dismissed-as-toothless-9623907.html
Basically yes. Don't get caught with dem uploadz do.
Original post by sheldon420
Hey, someone told me that since this summer you can download TV shows and other stuff using torrents in the UK and nothing will happen to you. Is this actually true?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/new-internet-piracy-warning-letters-rules-dismissed-as-toothless-9623907.html

My understanding is: downloading or viewing is not illegal (or at least not worth punishing), uploading is. The problem with torrents is that somehow as you download it, you also upload it to someone else meaning that you are infact sharing the material yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by TheAnusFiles
My understanding is: downloading or viewing is not illegal (or at least not worth punishing), uploading is. The problem with torrents is that somehow as you download it, you also upload it to someone else meaning that you are infact sharing the material yourself.

Makes sense. I'm sure you can change the uTorrent settings somehow to restrict uploading though.
if there is a large amount of torrented material being downloaded (talking 100s of GBs here) then your ISP could potentially flag it up. Even though websites like tpb are blocked (but still easily accessible through proxy servers) the UK is quite lenient when it comes to downloading torrents. Getting caught rarely happens. In the US on the other hand, you have to be very careful and always use proxy servers, or you probably will get caught (written warning first) and could risk losing your internet.
Original post by TheTechN1304
if there is a large amount of torrented material being downloaded (talking 100s of GBs here) then your ISP could potentially flag it up. Even though websites like tpb are blocked (but still easily accessible through proxy servers) the UK is quite lenient when it comes to downloading torrents. Getting caught rarely happens. In the US on the other hand, you have to be very careful and always use proxy servers, or you probably will get caught (written warning first) and could risk losing your internet.

I think they will post you a letter saying stop it. Like 4 times. Nothing more lol. I doubt you get done for uploading unless a new movie came out and you are the original uploader, then you'd go jail for longer than many rapists do :biggrin:. So don't worry lol, just don't upload anything new.
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
I think they will post you a letter saying stop it. Like 4 times. Nothing more lol. I doubt you get done for uploading unless a new movie came out and you are the original uploader, then you'd go jail for longer than many rapists do :biggrin:. So don't worry lol, just don't upload anything new.

nahh. i don't worry. i've been doing it for years. :tongue:
Original post by TheTechN1304
nahh. i don't worry. i've been doing it for years. :tongue:

Yeah, I always D/W with no problem at all. I used to do over 100gb in a week as I downloaded this anime in 1080p blu-ray and had 40gb done within an hours 0_0 I was at like 8mb actual download speed a second lol.
Reply 8
Can I just say torrents aren't necessarily illegal, it depends on what it is your torrenting on whether or not it is illegal.
Reply 9
Original post by sheldon420
Makes sense. I'm sure you can change the uTorrent settings somehow to restrict uploading though.

You can, but if nobody uploads then how you gonna even download it in the 1st place :tongue:
For not uploading back smoothing better torrent sites would ban you

Quick Reply

Latest