The Student Room Group

A quiet fresher in a party city!

So on Saturday I'm moving to Leeds!
I decided to make a new account for this blog because I'm probably quite recognizable on my usual account and I'd rather stay anonymous :smile:

At the moment I'm surrounded by crates and bags which I'm trying to pack but honestly, I have no idea what I need to take. I printed out a list from here and now own all the stuff on it (home bargains came in pretty handy) but its the stuff I already own that I'm struggling with. I don't have a system so the last three things I packed were: my calendar, a nail kit and some flip flops. See what I mean?

I've been really excited about uni for ages and ages but on Sunday I realized just how close I was to leaving home and I cried and told my mum I wasn't going! I am very much a home bird, so I have no idea how I'll cope not seeing my family everyday :/

I've been talking to my flatmates on facebook which has kind of helped, they seem really nice which was a massive relief, though I guess we're all in the same boat and all want to get on with each other! We have tickets for some freshers' events, but I also have induction lectures/sessions everyday of freshers! I am looking forward to getting started on my course :biggrin:

I'm going to try and keep this updated as I followed some 2013 freshers' blogs religiously and enjoyed reading them, but we'll see how long it lasts!
Reply 1
I'm lying in bed in my new room, which is a complete tip as I hardly had any time to unpack yesterday!
I got here yesterday and brought my stuff in, then me and my mum made my bed before we went out for lunch. We went to the supermarket which was packed, mostly with parents and students doing exactly what we were doing. We walked back to my accommodation and put the shopping away then unpacked the boxes so my parents could take them home again. One of my flatmates came and asked if I wanted to go to the welcome event (with a free drink!) in the common room so I said a hurried goodbye to my parents and went down.
When we got back to the flat we cooked tea, but six of us cooking in a tiny kitchen at once was pretty difficult!
After a bit of a discussion about our plans for the evening myself and four of my flatmates had a film night, which I was massively relieved about because I'm not a party girl! :smile: They seem really nice and friendly though, which is good.
Today I'm going to unpack and probably go into town to do some shopping.
Reply 2
Hi, I'm glad it sounds like you're enjoying Uni so far. I'm at the start of Year 13 and for the past couple of months I've been worrying myself to death about Uni. I know it's not logical and I will probably have a great time but I was hoping you could give me some reassurance on the social side of things. I'm quite a shy person and don't' really drink, I've never even been to a party with other people my age! So to get to the point you can probably imagine how worried I am about the social side of Uni and also living away from home. Have you found it easy to get settled and have you found it ok getting used to not living with your family yet? It's stupid I know but I just worry that cause I find it quite difficult to get on with people my age, due to the fact that I don't generally like the same things that people my age do, that I'll just feel lonely and isolated. You can probably tell I'm a worrier! Sorry for the long paragraph :smile:
Reply 3
Hi!
I sort of forgot I started this blog so I'll catch up on what I've been doing so far! I have now been here 12 days and am loving it :smile:
During freshers week I spent my days going to induction sessions (meeting fellow first years, lab inductions, IT inductions etc), sitting in the kitchen with my flatmates, who are all lovely, and getting to know the city/campus. I also went swimming a couple of times. I'm not a massive drinker/partier but this is what I did during freshers evenings:
Saturday - film night with my flatmates
Sunday - union pub
Monday - watched Josh Widdicombe at the SU
Tuesday - halls welcome dinner, night in
Wednesday - watched a comedy hypnotist at the SU (sooo weird!)
Thursday - night in with my flatmates
Friday - drinks in the flat, then went to the pub (a couple of us then came back the others went to a club)
Our flat is quite quiet but really sociable, most evenings we're all in the kitchen and although we each cook our own food nobody tends to sit in their room. The kitchen is a bit small to all cook at once but we manage to take turns. My flatmates seem pretty clean and dirty dishes don't get piled up, though clean dishes seem to stay on the drying rack for days before being put away!
My lectures this week have all been introductions, except one module which we have started properly. Hopefully next week they'll be more content and not cancelled as much (or if we found out a bit earlier they were cancelled it would be good!).
I've joined my course society and one other but am looking for a third - societies seem a good way to make friends at uni. I've been to one social so far and enjoyed it, on Saturday I'm going to a daytime social (a hike) and a pub crawl in the evening... I'll probably be the most sober by the end haha!
Reply 4
Beth, I wouldn't worry! At the start of year 13 I'd not been to any parties, I went to a couple during the year but didn't drink much and left pretty early (but still enjoyed them!).
When you're applying for accommodation at my uni you could tick a box to be put in a quiet flat which I did, I'm really glad because some of them are so noisy.
I'm not really homesick but I'm looking forward to seeing my family this weekend as they're coming to visit me. It makes it easier because you have all your things with you and my room/flat is already beginning to feel like home. I've put up some photos and things to make it look more homely :smile:
I've also been to a bunting making class and am going to a cushion making class, the SU knows there are quiet people about and put on events for us as well!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Go out, man up and get rat-faced.
Reply 6
Original post by Beth3597
Hi, I'm glad it sounds like you're enjoying Uni so far. I'm at the start of Year 13 and for the past couple of months I've been worrying myself to death about Uni. I know it's not logical and I will probably have a great time but I was hoping you could give me some reassurance on the social side of things. I'm quite a shy person and don't' really drink, I've never even been to a party with other people my age! So to get to the point you can probably imagine how worried I am about the social side of Uni and also living away from home. Have you found it easy to get settled and have you found it ok getting used to not living with your family yet? It's stupid I know but I just worry that cause I find it quite difficult to get on with people my age, due to the fact that I don't generally like the same things that people my age do, that I'll just feel lonely and isolated. You can probably tell I'm a worrier! Sorry for the long paragraph :smile:

I've been at uni 2 weeks now. At school I was one of the quietest people you could meet, coming to uni has thrown me into a new environment and it forced me out of my comfort zone and i am having a great time:smile: I wouldn't worry about the social side of things everyone is so friendly as they also don't want to feel lonely.
In these past couple of weeks a few people who said they don't really drink like you have been and enjoying it so you never know until you try. But no one is forcing you too.
What do you mean by you don't like the same things that people your age do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending