Student dinner blog - day 3

Watch this thread
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Third update on the dinner blog where I provide recipes, instructions and where I bought food from and how much to show how cost effective you can be.

My food shop which is supposed to be lasting two week with all the food I have as ingredients can be found here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2870171 on the original post.

And the second post can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2871415

Today's dinner:
Vegetable and cheese puff pastry with a baked sweet potato (just ate it, I'm absolutely stuffed.

Ingredients:
-Mediterranean vegetables (but you can use whatever veg or filling you like)
-Cheese
-Filo (puff pastry) sheet, however much you want depending on how big of a pastry you want, I used a sheet that was about 20cm by 15cm
-sweet potato, or regular potato if you prefer
-Milk (optional)

Instructions:

-Wash your potato and stab it several times with a fork or knife, then place it in the microwave for 5 minutes or until it goes soft.

-Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees

-If your vegetables are frozen defrost them in the microwave for 1 minute or until thawed, and you should be using defrosted (or never frozen) filo pastry.

-Take the microwaved baked potato and put it in the oven, set the timer for 30 minutes. After 15 minutes you will put in your pastry for the final 15 minutes.

-Place your vegetables into the rolled out filo pastry and add as much cheese as you want, then fold your pastry over into whatever shape you want, I just went for a simple rectangle, Make sure the edges are sealed and stab a few holes in it with a fork. Rub a little bit of milk onto the top of the pastry, this is to help it brown and crisp.

-Place the pastry in the oven for the final 15 minutes

-eat the food.

For Breakfast and lunch (was too lazy to make something new for lunch) I had the rest of the pasta bake I had made from the day before.

Some people like to bake their potatoes completely from raw and not put them in the microwave at all, that's completely a preference. I did it in the microwave initially just to cut down bake time by half.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (115)
41.22%
They're exactly what I expected (66)