The Student Room Group

Maths Tricky Question?

Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me the answer of this question and also explain how you got it? Thanks Neorah

Question:

A trainee in a garden centre monitors the growth of a young plant. The height of the plant is found to increase by 15% to 24 cm.

Find the height of the plant when the trainee started to monitor it.

This question is worth 1 mark.
Reply 1
Original post by Neorah
Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me the answer of this question and also explain how you got it? Thanks Neorah

Question:

A trainee in a garden centre monitors the growth of a young plant. The height of the plant is found to increase by 15% to 24 cm.

I'll just guide you to the answer? Call initial height x and what do you multiply it by to get 24?
Original post by Neorah
Hello everyone,

Question:

Do you understand reverse percentages?

What is the multiplier for a 15% increase?

What operation do you need to do to go back in time?

Peculiar question by the way - the answer isn't very nice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Hello mr.m

I have no idea how reverse percentages work could you please explain to me so i can work it out?
Original post by Neorah
Hello mr.m

I have no idea how reverse percentages work could you please explain to me so i can work it out?

If I said that something was 20cm and was then increased by 15% - what would you do to find the increased height?
If it has increased 15% it means it is now at 115% at 24cm. To find the original high the monitored it at, you do 2 simple calculations..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
If I said that something was 20cm and was then increased by 15% - what would you do to find the increased height?

1.15×20 =23 cm
Original post by Kyle-McGrory
If it has increased 15% it means it is now at 115% at 24cm. To find the original high the monitored it at, you do 2 simple calculations

Perhaps you are unaware of the forum guidelines that ask us not to give full solutions
Original post by Neorah
Original post by TenOfThem

1.15×20 =23 cm

Excellent

So in your question (something) x 1.15 = 24

Can you see what you have to do to work back to the "something"?
Original post by Neorah
1.15×20 =23 cm

Yes so if you want to go back in time you do 23÷1.15=2023 \div 1.15 = 20
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
Yes so if you want to go back in time you do 23÷1.15=2023 \div 1.15 = 20

Alright thank you so much guys!
can someone help me with this question

question:
A man can travel to work either by train or by car. The journey is 90km. The train travels 15 km/h faster than the car, and completes the journey in half an hour less time. Find the speed of the car on its journey
Do 24 x 0.85 as that subtracts the 15% to find the original height :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dream_and_wish

This is incorrect

Please read the thread
Original post by dream_and_wish

Posted from TSR Mobile

This would take 15% off the new value, you are looking for what you add 15% to to reach this new value.

OP think of how you would undo a multiplication
To find the original height divide by 115 and times by 100

By dividing by 115 it reduces the original 115% to 1% then times by 100 to get 100%

E.g. If a plant was increased by 20% and it's at 24 (Original Height = 20)

24/120= 0.2
0.2 x100 = 20
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest