Signing someone up for spam(the consequences)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
chupacabraconcadabra
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, erm so I found someone's email and kinda signed them up for spam(they deserved it) nothing too bad, just Groupon and Wowcha.

Was gonna do more, then thought to myself..umm this really a good idea? So I stopped.

Is there any way they can track me down? Like can they find out my ip address and see that I'm the one who signed them up?
Paula Smith 1990
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes - if they know how to do it, but they probably wont.

But - grow up!
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Probably not; although there will be a certain, poetic justice when they beat you to death with their nine-inch penis.
Simes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by chupacabraconcadabra)
Hi, erm so I found someone's email and kinda signed them up for spam
That sounds like a breach of Section 1 of the Computer Misuse Act 1990, unauthorised access.

(Original post by chupacabraconcadabra)
Is there any way they can track me down? Like can they find out my ip address and see that I'm the one who signed them up?
Yes. That will be logged at the exchange (courtesy of routine abuse of The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act), plus by the ISP and possibly by the mailing list owners too.
addylad
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Probably not; although there will be a certain, poetic justice when they beat you to death with their nine-inch penis.
Depends, they might be busy getting ripped in three weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jwitt30
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
F$
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (74)
21.45%
No (271)
78.55%

Watched Threads