Signing someone up for spam(the consequences) Watch

chupacabraconcadabra
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, erm so I found someone's email and kinda signed them up for spam(they deserved it) nothing too bad, just Groupon and Wowcha.

Was gonna do more, then thought to myself..umm this really a good idea? So I stopped.

Is there any way they can track me down? Like can they find out my ip address and see that I'm the one who signed them up?
Paula Smith 1990
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes - if they know how to do it, but they probably wont.

But - grow up!
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably not; although there will be a certain, poetic justice when they beat you to death with their nine-inch penis.
Simes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chupacabraconcadabra)
Hi, erm so I found someone's email and kinda signed them up for spam
That sounds like a breach of Section 1 of the Computer Misuse Act 1990, unauthorised access.

(Original post by chupacabraconcadabra)
Is there any way they can track me down? Like can they find out my ip address and see that I'm the one who signed them up?
Yes. That will be logged at the exchange (courtesy of routine abuse of The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act), plus by the ISP and possibly by the mailing list owners too.

Will anyone bother? Nah.

Did you do A Bad Thing? Nah. What you need to do is post on a few popular web sites that expose the poster's email address quoting that email address. That'll get them on the big time spammers' mailing lists, the SEO spammers mailing lists and the Nigerian scam mailing lists.

Job sites - especially Monster - are a great place for abusing someone's email address. Monster is notorious for being used by email address harvesters. Put up a CV for a self-employed Disabled Gay Poledancer with your target's email address at the top of the CV may get them some interesting responses. But that will be breaking other serious laws to do with harassment, so don't do it. Do that, and the Police might get interested.

What you could have done is reset their email account password. That might have made them think about maintaining their online security in future. Especially if you first post an email to themselves saying something like "Thanks for letting me use your email account to volunteer you for the town's Gay Pride Organisation Committee / National Front membership / application as the next BNP candidate" - they'll enjoy seeing that when they get back in. But that's probably a breach of Section 1 of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 as well as other stuff too!
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Probably not; although there will be a certain, poetic justice when they beat you to death with their nine-inch penis.
Depends, they might be busy getting ripped in three weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.46%
Excited (165)
9.35%
Worried (308)
17.45%
Terrified (389)
22.04%
Meh (183)
10.37%
Confused (39)
2.21%
Putting on a brave face (244)
13.82%
Impatient (217)
12.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise