Female Genital Mutilation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
**** knows.

**** knows.

Indeed!
Reply 21
Not in the UK it's not FGM is illegal in the UK, and it is also illegal to take someone from the UK to another country to perform FGM, it can carry a sentence of up to 14 years in prison.

If it works for these cultural communities, maybe we should just let them get on with it?
Reply 22
Original post by Mike.Ross
**** knows.

Indeed!

What I really want is an open debate, one side against, one side for. The reasons why they support or oppose it.
Reply 23
Original post by josh_v
Well millions of people seem to engage in male genital mutilation and there is hardly any outcry about that...

Circumcision is not comparable to FGM. While it is disturbing to say the least that we still continue to do it, the more realistic comparison would be if they chopped the head of your cock off.
Original post by hadtobedone
There are more important things in life than hedonism.

That's your outlook. Would you deny others their own?
Ultimately, it is a traditional cultural practice. So long as someone who comes from one of these cultures gets a job works hard, is not a benefit scrounger and contributes to society, then whatever they do in their own home is up to them.

No. What they do in their own home is dictated by the laws of this country. I'm pretty sure that no woman volunteers for FGM, they are forced. Just imagine someone forcing you to have your balls chopped off.

There is no argument that anyone can put forward for FGM. It is barbaric and illegal for a very good reason. There is no debate.
Reply 26
Original post by democracyforum
We are a moderate, tolerant country. This is the 21st Century,
where our capital city is now less than 50% white and the most tolerant
and diverse on earth, where gay marriage is not just accepted but
celebrated, and where our greatest Olympic hero (Mo Farah) is a black
Muslim man of Somali background.

We would upset the immigrant community if we start banning things.

And I doubt most right wingers care about what happens to Muslim women.

Mo Farah is not the greatest Olympic hero, in terms of British athletes, it would be Chris Hoy. If it needs to be banned (which I do not believe it does need to be), then I could care less about upsetting the immigrant population, I want facts, the physiological damage done. Generally, I would agree though, Islam is a ridiculously backward religion but I am in favour of leaving them to rot in their ignorance. In regards to FGM I am neutral and open to hearing both sides.

You guys seem to be unaware of the law... FGM is very much illegal within the UK and taking someone from the UK to do it abroad as per the FGM Act 2003. The maximum sentence for taking part in FGM is 14 years. I'm sure others will put forward the reasons for this better than me, I just wanted to clarify the legal position.

And for the record I'm against FGM and MGM.

Edit: and "could care less" means you do actually care. The phrase you're looking for is "couldn't care less".
Reply 27
Though I completely and utterly disagree with male circumcision they are not comparable in terms of the damage done. It's like comparing a punch in the face to a stab wound, both are wrong but they are not comparable.

Though once again to make it clear, I DO NOT agree with MGM.

Like FGM there are different types of MGM though, circumcision is probably comparable to type I or possibly type IV (definitely not type III though - I agree with you there), but there are more drastic forms of MGM such as sub-incision. Though both practices seem to stem from the same motive: the control of human sexuality.
If it works for these cultural communities, maybe we should just let them get on with it?

Question.
Would you be cool with the ritual sacrafice of animals in streets?

If it works for these cultural communities? Tell me how dying of sepsis from a stupid barbaric procedure works? I see you also haven';t commented on my post that basically broke down what FGM is and the complications that can and most often do arise from it.
Original post by Comus
Like FGM there are different types of MGM though, circumcision is probably comparable to type I or possibly type IV (definitely not type III though - I agree with you there), but there are more drastic forms of MGM such as sub-incision. Though both practices seem to stem from the same motive: the control of human sexuality.

I don't even think the most common form of MGM is comparable to when FGM is I think type 1 where just the clitoris is removed, because in the common type of MGM the male can still enjoy and climax from sex, the woman cannot.

Just to be clear though I don't agree with ANY forms of MGM or FGM. And of course there are more horrendous forms of MGM but when people talk about MGM they are usually just talking about removal of the foreskin.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Question.
Would you be cool with the ritual sacrafice of animals in streets?

If it works for these cultural communities? Tell me how dying of sepsis from a stupid barbaric procedure works? I see you also haven';t commented on my post that basically broke down what FGM is and the complications that can and most often do arise from it.

No, I do not want to see animals hurt.
No, I do not want to see animals hurt.

But you're okay for girls to be hurt and mutilated?
Reply 32
Original post by Cerdic
You guys seem to be unaware of the law... FGM is very much illegal within the UK and taking someone from the UK to do it abroad as per the FGM Act 2003. The maximum sentence for taking part in FGM is 14 years. I'm sure others will put forward the reasons for this better than me, I just wanted to clarify the legal position.

And for the record I'm against FGM and MGM.

Edit: and "could care less" means you do actually care. The phrase you're looking for is "couldn't care less".

I am aware it is illegal but I still want hear viewpoints from both those for the practice and those against it.

My apologies, that was an Americanism on my part.
Reply 33
But you're okay for girls to be hurt and mutilated?

The difference is that the ritualistic murder of animals is horrific and intended purely to devalue the life of an animal and reduce it to an object. Anyone who would hurt an animal like that should be slowly and painfully executed.

Whereas with FGM it could be argued that it is an act of love, to make sure that the woman is able to find a suitor.
I fail to see how they are that different. I have heard people say that FGM denies women sexual pleasure but that is not really a good argument for banning it. There are more important things in life than hedonism.

To force upon a woman a lifetime devoid of sexual pleasure before she is old enough to consent is despicable, and actually a pretty good argument for banning it.

It would be similar to not banning male castration pre-puberty (as was fairly common among boys in the 17-19th centuries to ensure a boy's voice did not break and they could perform in operas etc).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
I think it actually is a very good argument against it, you may not find a healthy sex life important or pleasure from sex important but many people do and FGM takes that choice away from the people affected.

FGM along with completely ruining a woman's ability to enjoy sex also:

-means the removal of all the outer genitalia (clitoris and labia) this can cause serious infections and even sepsis as well as significant pain.
- sometimes the entrance to the vagina is narrowed by repositions and cutting into the labia, this would make sex extremely painful, could also cause serious infections and sepsis.
-victims are also sometimes cut and burned in the vaginal area
- the vagina will also sometimes literally be sewn shut and the stitches will then be ripped open on the wedding night by the husband, a type of pain I cannot even imagine

complications include:
-shock
-infections including tetanus, HIV, hepatitis b and c
-sepsis
- the woman is sometime also left unable to urinate
damage to the urethra and bowel can also occur and

- long term chronic infections to the vaginal urinary area
-abnormal periods
-possible kidney damage and failure
-infertility
-psychological damage
-flashbacks to the procedure (which often done when the woman is a child around 15)
-the need for surgery to open the vagina further during childbirth or sex as it is too damaged
-cysts and scar tissue

please tell me again how FGM is anything like MGM

Complications of MGM include:
- Bleeding
- Sepsis
- Fistula
- Meatal Stenosis
- Sexual Complications
- Psychological issues

But dont take my word for it, the British Journal of Surgery is a better source of information.

http://www.cirp.org/library/complications/williams-kapila/

Im not actually arguing that MGM is as bad as FGM. The way FGM is practiced would suggest it would lead to far more complications and problems. But the issue of MGM should not be trivialised because it isn't deemed to be 'as damaging' as FGM. Im sure for men who have suffered serious damage to their penis at a few days old due to a botched circumcision, and have to live their entire life that way, its a very serious issue.
The difference is that the ritualistic murder of animals is horrific and intended purely to devalue the life of an animal and reduce it to an object. Anyone who would hurt an animal like that should be slowly and painfully executed.

Whereas with FGM it could be argued that it is an act of love, to make sure that the woman is able to find a suitor.

An act of love? Ha. You have got to be kidding me. It is abuse. Did you even read the extensive list of information I posted? Please tell me how those things can be done out of "love"

Edit: oh also those who would ritual sacrifice animals would believe that that worked so by your logic it is okay.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 37
What I really want is an open debate, one side against, one side for. The reasons why they support or oppose it.

There's a reason this is so one sided, it's abhorrent. My main problem with it is lack of informed consent. FGM is performed mainly on young girls who cannot consent because of age, and likely wouldn't consent anyway. If it is culturally important then women should make their own decision on the matter when they are of an appropriate age.

I'd like to show you the effects with pictures, but that'd be against site rules so I can't, but Google is your friend.
Reply 38

So cutting off part of a child's genitals is considered an 'act of love'?
Original post by josh_v
Complications of MGM include:
- Bleeding
- Sepsis
- Fistula
- Meatal Stenosis
- Sexual Complications
- Psychological issues

But dont take my word for it, the British Journal of Surgery is a better source of information.

http://www.cirp.org/library/complications/williams-kapila/

Im not actually arguing that MGM is as bad as FGM. The way FGM is practiced would suggest it would lead to far more complications and problems. But the issue of MGM should not be trivialised because it isn't deemed to be 'as damaging' as FGM. Im sure for men who have suffered serious damage to their penis at a few days old due to a botched circumcision, and have to live their entire life that way, its a very serious issue.

I have already stated I am against MGM.
But at least MGM is almost always carried out in a sterile environment making severe complications small (around 0-2%). Whereas FGM is basically always carried out in a very un-sterile environment, not even with proper medical equipment they'd be lucky if the knife was even sharp and the risk of complications are ridiculously high to the point of them basically being inevitable.

I am not trying to trivialise MGM (as in removal of foreskin not he more extreme kinds) at all because like have said already like 10 times I am AGAINST it but they really should not be compared because they are nothing alike.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending