lewif002
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I see people talking about the business exams and they keep relating to AO1/AO2/AO3/AO4... what do these mean?!

Struggling to understand what some people are talking about

Thanks
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
laurat96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lewif002)
I see people talking about the business exams and they keep relating to AO1/AO2/AO3/AO4... what do these mean?!

Struggling to understand what some people are talking about

Thanks
AO1 means Knowledge. Everything you write down which is your own knowledge/what you know about the given topic is A01.
A02 is Application. This involves applying your knowledge to the case study.
A03 is Analysis. This is positives and negatives of the given topic and the impact these have on the business.
A04 is Evaluation. This is evaluating the positives and negatives and bringing it all together in a final conclusion.
orlii
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hi,
for the A level of businessin the part of essay is it a good idea o maybe do a grpah of maybe diseconomies of scale or elasticity? Would it bring marks up? or unnecesary

thanks
laurat96
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by orlii)
hi,
for the A level of businessin the part of essay is it a good idea o maybe do a grpah of maybe diseconomies of scale or elasticity? Would it bring marks up? or unnecesary

thanks
It probably depends on your exam board. I was CCEA and we were not told to draw graphs! If you're short for time, maybe one for diseconomies of scale could get you a few extra marks but otherwise I wouldn't bother. For price elasticity I just used the formula to work it out!
georgew23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
AO1 <-- Your point, i.e. "primary research is helpful as it will help him predict demand for his service" OR could be as simple as just stating the definition or an example of the term in question, i.e "primary research is first hand research such as questionnaires which the business can hand out to whomever is targets for marketing".

AO2 <-- Application to the business. For instance if the question is in regards to a building company and what kind of market research it should use, your AO2 may look something like this: "Secondary research methods such as census data could be useful to a building company as it could give
insight into the development of areas which could be a cue to the business to make a presence there".

AO3 <-- The impact on the business, in context to whatever subject it may be (profits, costs, customer satisfaction, etc). For instance, as a follow up to the AO2 example: "The building company, by using secondary market research would be able to gather valuable information while being able to keep costs of this marketing lower than primary market research alternatives.

AO4 <-- Your evaluation. Here you would evaluate, using your opinion i.e. what you think is best for the business. Your AO4 may look something like this: "Overall I think the business should use secondary research such as census as it is adequate for consideration of marketing expenditure and segmentation in regards to building companies. In addition it is more cost effective and quicker than primary research alternatives, so the business can spend less time over research and more integrating into the market with more finance spared". This, essentially is just AO3 but with your opinion on why your choice is better and why another choice isn't.
Last edited by georgew23; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads