The Student Room Group

Young men 70% more likely than young women to live with parents

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Philip_Philtrum
Plus men are the only ones ever seen as failures and losers. Areas of high unemployment have ridiculously high suicide rates...especially among men. A jobless man is seen as a loser, he feels a loser and then offs himself. A jobless women doesn't feel the need to off herself because society doesn't judge her as a pathetic loser.

Late 20's in areas of high unemployment areas...then I would say among the more middle class man he will off himself in his early 40's. Job not earning a lot, no relationship or kids....same monotonous **** each day...off himself.

But as I have said before...men don't care about rape because they can't put themselves in the shoes of the victim and women don't care about suicide for the same reason.

There is a huge problem with public opinion on men and mental health, but you can hardly say that women don't care about suicide. It's not an issue exclusive to one gender; the rates of attempted suicides is actually very similar, but successful suicides are higher in men because they tend to use more violent methods.

Likewise, plenty of men get raped; it's another horrible public opinion that needs to change.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Can confirm I am a young(ish) woman living in her own house. Defo legit.

:lol:

:laugh:

:tongue: (just so you know I am joking :wink:)

But as I have said before...men don't care about rape because they can't put themselves in the shoes of the victim and women don't care about suicide for the same reason.

What a load of *******s.

I've never experienced extreme starvation. Doesn't stop me from caring about people starving to death :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
if you are male and have not moved out of your parents by 27 or 28 there is something wrong with you
Original post by Riku
it's because young men these days are little lazy selfish whiney ****ty man-children with no ambition and no sense of responsibility who no decent strong, independent woman will touch with a barge pole

Sound so bitter :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by SarcasticMel
Sound so bitter :smile:

huh? I'm a straight (or rather bi-curious) man.
Original post by Riku
huh? I'm a straight (or rather bi-curious) man.

So? Sound really bitter at the state of contemporary men. What does that have to do with your gender or sexual orientation?
This is no surprise to me.
Reply 47
Original post by SarcasticMel
So? Sound really bitter at the state of contemporary men. What does that have to do with your gender or sexual orientation?

it changes the meaning, I am either bitter that all the good men have gone, or bitter that no woman would touch me with a ten-foot barge pole

I have a lot of internalised stigma about my various issues. Although I should take more responsibility for certain areas of my life which are lacking, and do slowly but surely, I feel toxic shame as the consequence of stigma. Things like I should 'manning up and growing up' when I am taking a few days to fill in the form for volunteering-but still doing it.
Do you think it could be something to do with the fact that single women in this age group earn more than single men?
Message to men: Man up!

Message to women: Marry up!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
:lol:

:laugh:

:tongue: (just so you know I am joking :wink:)

What a load of *******s.

I've never experienced extreme starvation. Doesn't stop me from caring about people starving to death :rolleyes:

But you don't really care all that much...you care for the 1 minute when it is rammed in your face but after that you go back to consumerism ways...you will have loads of stuff you don't need or could get cheaper...then give that money to stop someone from starving but you don't. Don't worry pretty much everyone is the same...will be an extremely low minority that aren't.

I think rape and fear of rape plays on the mind of women on a much more frequent basis without it being rammed in their face....same for suicide with men.
(edited 9 years ago)
But you don't really care all that much...you care for the 1 minute when it is rammed in your face but after that you go back to consumerism ways...you will have loads of stuff you don't need or could get cheaper...then give that money to stop someone from starving but you don't. Don't worry pretty much everyone is the same...will be an extremely low minority that isn't.

I think rape and fear of rape plays on the mind of women on a much more frequent basis without it being rammed in their face....same for suicide with men.

Actually I am one of those annoying prats that wont shut up about third world poverty and how we the west are partly responsible in a lot of cases. People have gotten really angry with me for even saying it :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Actually I am one of those annoying prats that wont shut up about third world poverty and how we the west are partly responsible in a lot of cases. People have gotten really angry with me for even saying it :s-smilie:

That is great...but that doesn't answer my point of you living the most basic of lives so you can donate loads of money so someone else can actually have the basics and live.

Words are nice and all that, but actions are much better.
That is great...but that doesn't answer my point of you living the most basic of lives so you can donate loads of money so someone else can actually have the basics and live.

Words are nice and all that, but actions are much better.

Giving charity is pissing into the wind in the grand scheme of things.

But yep. I am a flawed selfish human. I would rather save up for a car than give a load of money to charity. I will and have given money to homeless people on the street though. (even if they do spend it on drugs, who knows) The things I complain about are the general set up of global economics of which I am just a little pawn.
Giving charity is pissing into the wind in the grand scheme of things.

Agreed, so you agree with my points. I knew you'd get there eventually.

Go and get yourself a gold star for the chart.
Genuinely don't know how people do it, I'd crawl through broken glass rather than live at home again. I'm an adult, not a child.
I know three guys aged 25-30, and they're all still living at home.
I know one girl, 26, who's got her own flat and business....
maybe it's social conditioning, that women feel like they need to leave home and start their own household....personally disagree. I don't know what could be worse than being a housewife....
Original post by Gherk
Lower testosterone is due to the estrogen filled stuff that people use. Things like shampoo, cleaning products and the pill is filled with estrogen. This is then flushed down into the sewer system and steadily increases estrogen amount in tap water.

If I stop drinking tap water and using shampoo my testosterone levels will increase? Seriously though, would they, even if only by a few tents of a per cent?
Lmao, dear God all these people not moving out of home working all the hours under the sun and paying avoidable taxes, how will we manage to maitain our welfare state unless we encourage young people to 'man up' be responsible get tied down to a mortgage, get married, reproduce and pay taxes. People need to move out of the family home so that we can get more council tax RAAAHHH WE NEED MORE MONIES!!

Incidently 150 years ago it was very common for 3 or more generations of familiy to live in one abode.

I don't see what the problem is with young men living at home with their family, why should they feel pressured to move in with a partner or pay excessive rent when there is a far more comfortable bed and living standard on offer? Those lucky people who have a family willing to share their homes shouldn't feel any shame for accepting this family hospitality, I wish I could take a family member up on such an offer certainly, but not so fortunate, when I finish uni I will have to be rapid in my search for somewhere to live.
Reply 59
Original post by miser
As opposed to women always having preferred older men?

MIser what were you getting at here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending