Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it wort taking Psychology at AS level. I intend to take Maths, Physics, Computing and Psychology. The reason behind this is that is is an essay based subject which i have been advised to take. Forgetting the other three subjects as they are now definite choices is is better for me to take Business Studies, Biology(not fancied too much), History(Didnt do it at GCSE but could still be let in) or Psychology. I want to leave as amny careers open as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... If you want to leave your career opttions open, I'd say biology or history, since some uni courses require them, wheras I havent seen any courses which require psychology/BS (I could be wrong though...)

ReputationRep:
    i took psychology and i foubd it absolutely boring, i hope i havent put you off lolxx

ReputationRep:
    iv nearly finished my AS psychology, it is a good 1 2 do cos its really easy 2 do n get good grades on, u might b mad 2 take it 2 A2 tho cos thats wen its hard!!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    lolz, i got an A at A2 but a B at AS lolz. I found A2 very easy (probably because i started concentrating) lolz.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is okay as long as you know you'll have a decent teacher. If the 6th formers in your school don't enjoy it, then don't touch it with a ten-foot barge pole. I speak from experience :eek:

ReputationRep:
    those r the exact subject i picked this yr, dropped computing for chemistry early on tho....... psychology is ok, not hard u just gotta remember

ReputationRep:
    Is psycology not one of the "in things" to do at A-level at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Is psycology not one of the "in things" to do at A-level at the moment?
    You mean like business studies and media studies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    lol! psychology is actually quite difficult, but people do well in it because it's really interesting (in my opinion). it requires a goodmemeory for researchers/dates, good evaluation skills, has bits of biology, sociology, stats in and i think ti is on of the best subjects around.

it is also the 5th most popular A-level subject at the moment and if it was as worthless as the snobs on here make out unis such as st andrews and oxford wouldn't give offers based on it (i had one from st andrews, my friend had one from oxford)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Shhhhh............don't tell anyone.

Dare you insult any subject and bad rep will surly follow.

ReputationRep:
    Shhhhh............don't tell anyone.

Dare you insult any subject and bad rep will surly follow.
    It surely has!

ReputationRep:
    It surely has!
    The amount of bad rep that has been picked up in the past for putting the boot into media studies at the Isle Of Arran Polytechnic et al is quite amazing.

Some people just cant accept that there is a two-teir degree system and such courses (and I AM NOT saying that psycology falls into this category) sit somewhere near the bottom.

I mean how the hell can anything with entry requirements DDD or EEE be classed as a worthwhile academic subject? One girl I know only has to get one or 2 E's to get into the "university" of her choice. Does this not just devalue the university system?

ReputationRep:
    The amount of bad rep that has been picked up in the past for putting the boot into media studies at the Isle Of Arran Polytechnic et al is quite amazing.

Some people just cant accept that there is a two-teir degree system and such courses (and I AM NOT saying that psycology falls into this category) sit somewhere near the bottom.

I mean how the hell can anything with entry requirements DDD or EEE be classed as a worthwhile academic subject? One girl I know only has to get one or 2 E's to get into the "university" of her choice. Does this not just devalue the university system?
    The thing is, you seem to put the boot into media studies full stop. There are media degrees which require AAB/ABB and "respected" courses like history and chemistry, which require DDD or less at some universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    The thing is, you seem to put the boot into media studies full stop. There are media degrees which require AAB/ABB and "respected" courses like history and chemistry, which require DDD or less at some universities.
    Subject and Univerisity are the two criteria that most people will judge by.

Anyone doing Chemistry with some "degree" of success (no pun intended) gets some cred!!!

My problem is the amount of dodgy institutions offering degrees of dubious educational or economical value. This is the whole reason we have to have top up fees etc... all so Tracey and Kev can go and spend three years dossing and come out with something that looks half credible but has little true value.

As a result of the above people HAVE TO start discriminating between what is a worthwhile degree and what isnt.

ReputationRep:
    Subject and Univerisity are the two criteria that most people will judge by.

Anyone doing Chemistry with some "degree" of success (no pun intended) gets some cred!!!

My problem is the amount of dodgy institutions offering degrees of dubious educational or economical value. This is the whole reason we have to have top up fees etc... all so Tracey and Kev can go and spend three years dossing and come out with something that looks half credible but has little true value.

As a result of the above people HAVE TO start discriminating between what is a worthwhile degree and what isnt.
    You just said:

I mean how the hell can anything with entry requirements DDD or EEE be classed as a worthwhile academic subject?
    Chemistry at somewhere like MMU wants 150-100 points, which is DDE (ish)-DEE, with at least an E in Chemistry. History is 180 (DDD).

Yet much more respected Unis like Birmingham and Royal Holloway want something like BBB, a perfectly respectable set of A Level results, for their media courses.

Based on grades, which of those is the most repectable? Which course is likely to have the brightest students, and therefore those most likely to go onto gain decent employment afterwards?

Media at an ex-poly probably won't get you that far (although most of them will have higher entrance requirements than for history or chemistry), but if it's at a respected university, then why not?

ReputationRep:
    They only want DDE for Chemistry at M.M.U.?

Having said that a friend of mine got into U.M.I.S.T with CCC to do Physics, the reason appears to be that the sciences are very undersuscribed.

ReputationRep:
    psychology is a really fascinating subject (i'm off to do it at bath in october) but i must admit the alevel syllabus is not very interesting and the way that it is generally taught i schools is appaulling. at my school we are basically handed out sheets to read and thats it.

if you want to do something related to it at uni by all means go for it, but unless you already have an interest in the subject i suggest to take something else as lots of people i know find it really boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloudey)
    Is it wort taking Psychology at AS level. I intend to take Maths, Physics, Computing and Psychology. The reason behind this is that is is an essay based subject which i have been advised to take. Forgetting the other three subjects as they are now definite choices is is better for me to take Business Studies, Biology(not fancied too much), History(Didnt do it at GCSE but could still be let in) or Psychology. I want to leave as amny careers open as possible.
    so many key study's to learn, i've got an exam in 3 weeks, i'm not even ready for it, there is so much to learn, i don't have time for it on top of chem bio and maths, but look into it, you may be good for it

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.