Financial/Commodity Trading: which MSc? : Have a Physics BSc

Watch
Schaeler2014
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
A programme was broadcast earlier this week on BBC2 entitled Traders: Millions by the Minute

www.radiotimes.com/episode/c4y6xg/traders-millions-by-the-minute--series-1---episode-1

Of particular interest was the group of people based in London, who were being tested to determine if they had the ability to trade live with real money which belonged to the company in question.

I would have some interest in this field. I shall be graduating with a BSc Physics degree, and was wondering which MSc would potentially help in this role?

Possible options are:
1) MSc Materials Science (lower Russell Group uni)
2) MSc Advanced Composities & Polymers (ex-poly uni)
3) MSc Computational Finance & Trading (lower Russell Group uni)
4) MSc Plasma Physics (lower Russell Group uni)

Concern with option 1): would a MSc Materials Science be of interest to trading employers?

Concerns with option 2): this is not a Russell Group uni, also would this degree be of interest to trading employers?

Concerns with option 3): potentially this course will be of little use outside trading if I later discover I'm not suited to trading (as was the case last night with one guy who had an MSc Business). Also, possibly no point taking this course if going to be working in the field, since probably need to work in the field to genuinely understand it.

Concern with option 4): there are considerably more jobs available in the field of Materials Science than Plasma Physics, therefore MSc Materials Science more useful if looking for a non-trading job.
mrkl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All 4 won't make much difference in my view, why not try for a top 5 university ?

Also even if you do that it may not work out.

Maybe CFA + a top notch masters. I don't know I still think it is a long shot
Schaeler2014
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by mrkl)
All 4 won't make much difference in my view, why not try for a top 5 university ?

Also even if you do that it may not work out.

Maybe CFA + a top notch masters. I don't know I still think it is a long shot
Do you mean most traders have their undergraduate degree in something such as economics as opposed to physics, and this is why it may not work out?
spoli21
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Schaeler2014)
Do you mean most traders have their undergraduate degree in something such as economics as opposed to physics, and this is why it may not work out?
He meant why don't you do masters at the top 5 uni (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE).

If you want to try trading just open a FX or spread betting account for 500 pounds (try a demo first for couple of weeks) and start trading. If you still want to do it after a week of sitting at your computer for at least 6-7 hours per day (watching markets move and tracking live news) than you may be able to make it.
mrkl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Schaeler2014)

I mean this:

(Original post by spoli21)
He meant why don't you do masters at the top 5 uni (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE).

If you want to try trading just open a FX or spread betting account for 500 pounds (try a demo first for couple of weeks) and start trading. If you still want to do it after a week of sitting at your computer for at least 6-7 hours per day (watching markets move and tracking live news) than you may be able to make it.

Rarely do i agree with virtually everything another poster says but this is one such occasion.

I'd add that a UG from a non T5 + masters may not even cut it because you would still be competing against a lot of t5 graduates and the number of vacancies are not enlarged just because of your masters.

The FIs cannot consider the T5 masters as better than a T5 UG mainly because it is harder to get into T5 UGs and more expensive. So if both were considered equal then the UGs would be short changed to the benefit of people who only did 1 year at a T5.

To the FIs this looks like " cheating " and so a T5 UG is still better than a non T5 UG + masters.

On the trading - I did that for 2 years and had a 3.5 x ROI, sometimes I had to put in 10 hour days, tedious and repetitive.

But hey don't let that put you off, others maybe different and love it and all power to them

On a last note becareful of spreadbetters and FX brokers - they are all market makers and can do deliberately make life very difficult for you.

They trade against you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (25)
18.12%
I'm not sure (3)
2.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (46)
33.33%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.17%
I'm not a current university student (61)
44.2%

Watched Threads