The Student Room Group

"Maybe in the future..."

So I was broken up with yesterday by my girlfriend of only about a month. She did it over text (though the circumstances were a bit difficult so I'm not really bothered about that), but she used the good old, "...I don't have time for a relationship right now..." She ended the text though by saying, "Maybe in the future when I've got a different job." (It was the job that was the 'problem', she worked typically 6am - 10pm 6 days a week.)

Have you ever used that last line, and if you have did you actually mean it or is it just something people say to maybe make themselves feel a bit better? I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong in that month or she genuinely just doesn't want any other commitments right now, which I completely understand.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Have you ever used that last line

Lol, no

is it just something people say to maybe make themselves feel a bit better?

Yes

I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong in that month or she genuinely just doesn't want any other commitments right now, which I completely understand.

More likely to be the first one i'm afraid. Sounds like you're better off without though tbh
Reply 2
Actually, I've said something very similar to someone just this week. We weren't actually an official couple yet, just been dating, but he was starting to hint at wanting something more official. I've just started a job that I've spent three years training for and fighting for which is requiring 60-70 hour weeks and taking up all my time right now.
I told him I'm sorry if I'm being selfish but that right now I have to put myself and my job first so that will be taking my focus and I can't give him, or anyone, the attention he's looking for and deserves. I also said I'd that once I'm settled in and have adjusted to the workload things might be different.
I admit there is probably an element of using work to soften the blow that I'm not sure I'm ready to commit but, overall, I mean exactly what I've said. I don't know whether your ex is just trying to soften things or whether she's like me and really does mean it's a work thing for now but I thought I'd let you know that it isn't always just something people say - it can be the truth!
Reply 3
Don't hold your breath mate. Break ups are notororious for unreliable explanations and platitudes.. Can't have been much of a relationship, mind, with such long working hours.
Reply 4
I'm not overly bothered about it, obviously it sucks being dumped and I quite liked her, but then I only saw her about once a week anyway and she was usually shattered from working. Annoying thing is due to the work she does I'm going to see her a few times a week until she does actually get a different job anyway so that could be fun the first few times :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending