The Student Room Group

Worried about uni offers! (SHEFFIELD)

Hi there, new to TSR and currently finishing my UCAS application! I am applying for 2015 courses, and specifically ENGLISH & THEATRE. The university asks for AAB.

I achieved 5 A's, 5 b's and 2 C's at GCSE.

I achieved A B B C C at AS.

I am predicted AAB (the uni's requirement) for A2 in English Literature, English Language and History.

I have really started panicking about offers, I have applied to Sheffield, Manchester, Loughborough, Kent and Derby, but Sheffield is the dream. This may sound incredibly naive but what is the likelihood I will get an offer from them? I keep panicking that I won't get offers, and having nightmares about it too haha. Any helpful advice from university or Sheffield university students would be great!
Original post by TheatreGIRL

I have really started panicking about offers, I have applied to Sheffield, Manchester, Loughborough, Kent and Derby, but Sheffield is the dream. This may sound incredibly naive but what is the likelihood I will get an offer from them? I keep panicking that I won't get offers, and having nightmares about it too haha. Any helpful advice from university or Sheffield university students would be great!

I don't think you sound naive, as this is a common worry. It's very unlikely that you'll get no offers at all- this is really rare, and only really happens to people applying for very competitive courses like medicine, or those being totally unrealistic, e.g. applying to 5 AAA courses with BBC predicted grades.

Unfortunately, no-one (not even current/previous students) can tell you your exact chances on here, as your chances partially depend on the standard of current applicants this year- if Sheffield receive lots of really strong applications this year, then your chances of getting a place go down, but if they have less applications than expected, or mostly weak applications, your chances of getting a place are much higher. Your chances will also partially depend on the standard of your personal statement, and the content of your reference, which no-one on here can see!

Assuming your application is generally of a good standard, I think you are fairly likely to get an offer, though.

Good luck :smile:
I applied for English an Drama at Sheffield too. I also applied to Kent and I am considering Loughborough lol. However I am applying with international qualifications so I'm not much help. But, I am also applying having met just the requirements. I would feel much better if I exceeded them. Only time will tell. Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 3
With those grades it's pretty unlikely they will reject you purely based on grades. You're not a million miles away and it's perfectly realistic for you to meet their typical offer, so try focus on making sure your PS is really great - and prepare for an interview if it's applicable. If they do interview you then don't panic too much. More than anything it's usually to check if you're suited to the course, and there they can discuss any potential concerns with you directly and you can reassure them :smile:

I'm in a different department so it's a different kettle of fish, but I got an AAB offer with BBBC at AS so they recognise AS results aren't the final grade and that there's room to improve.

As above though, nobody can really quantify for you how likely (or unlikely) it is you'll get an offer so just try not to worry too much if possible! But yeah, GCSEs/AS grades aren't anything to worry about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending