The Student Room Group

Need PS Advice - Veterinary Nursing.

Hey, I literally just made an account as I was hoping this forum could provide some useful information or advice regarding my personal statement writing.

A bit of background first, just so you understand why I'm struggling. I didn't do too greatly when I did my A-levels obtaining two D's and a C in Music, Psychology and French respectively. At the time I wasn't too fussed about the grades I got, as I did not want to go to university and I did not know what I wanted to study or do as a future career.

One random day I just decided to go to a different college to do a level 3 course in Animal management. It was a bit of a gamble, but I believe it paid off really well and I have definitely found what I want to do in life - which is go on to study the veterinary nursing degree.

So I'm now starting my second year of my two year animal management course, which is obviously around the same time which I should start writing personal statements.

My problem comes when I say why I want to do the course and other aspects about what inspires me to want to be a veterinary nurse... I literally have nothing. I know I can't write that I one day took a risk and decided to try something new and it worked out, that doesn't sound good at all...

Thankfully I've completed a lot of relevant work experience during my course with which I can flesh out the majority of my personal statement, I just need help starting it off with why I want to do the course.

So I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar position and could give some advice as to what I can write as to why I want to do the course, as I'm really struggling to write an opening paragraph.

Thank-you

[tl;dr] Need advice writing why I want to do the degree because I've no idea, I just do...
Original post by Bradley9023
Hey, I literally just made an account as I was hoping this forum could provide some useful information or advice regarding my personal statement writing.

A bit of background first, just so you understand why I'm struggling. I didn't do too greatly when I did my A-levels obtaining two D's and a C in Music, Psychology and French respectively. At the time I wasn't too fussed about the grades I got, as I did not want to go to university and I did not know what I wanted to study or do as a future career.

One random day I just decided to go to a different college to do a level 3 course in Animal management. It was a bit of a gamble, but I believe it paid off really well and I have definitely found what I want to do in life - which is go on to study the veterinary nursing degree.

So I'm now starting my second year of my two year animal management course, which is obviously around the same time which I should start writing personal statements.

My problem comes when I say why I want to do the course and other aspects about what inspires me to want to be a veterinary nurse... I literally have nothing. I know I can't write that I one day took a risk and decided to try something new and it worked out, that doesn't sound good at all...

Thankfully I've completed a lot of relevant work experience during my course with which I can flesh out the majority of my personal statement, I just need help starting it off with why I want to do the course.

So I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar position and could give some advice as to what I can write as to why I want to do the course, as I'm really struggling to write an opening paragraph.

Thank-you

[tl;dr] Need advice writing why I want to do the degree because I've no idea, I just do...

How you got to where you are isn't important, just say why vet nursing interests you NOW :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by *Interrobang*
How you got to where you are isn't important, just say why vet nursing interests you NOW :smile:

Well my tutor says she'll give me some more information about the different modules which will be studied, is it better to write specifically why those interest me?

I might be sounding a bit pathetic, but I'd still struggle with even that :s-smilie: I think it's cause it's quite hard to avoid clichés and there's not one particular reason I can pinpoint as to why I'm interested, I just... am xD

Thanks for your quick reply though :smile:
Well my tutor says she'll give me some more information about the different modules which will be studied, is it better to write specifically why those interest me?

I might be sounding a bit pathetic, but I'd still struggle with even that :s-smilie: I think it's cause it's quite hard to avoid clichés and there's not one particular reason I can pinpoint as to why I'm interested, I just... am xD

You don't need to go into detail on the different modules - you will cover (and probably have already covered) too much to talk about in a PS. Focus on why the role interests you and talk about your work experience as well. Look at the advice on how to write vet med PSs (see the links in my signature at the bottom of my first post) - it will give you more advice on what to write and how - the same rules will apply for your course :smile:

Vet Nursing is a vocational degree, and really, you need to focus on discussing work experience. Work experience with a range of animals, including large animals, agricultural animals and exotic animals will usually be an advantage.

With academics, it is probably best to focus on the areas you particularly enjoyed, rather than discussing the whole course- as this is likely to be superficial. Admissions tutors are interested in what YOU think, not what you've studied. They will already be aware of the syllabus of a qualification a lot of their applicants will take.
Agreed with the other comments here.

I'd use my work experience to back up why I wanted to do it. Be REFLECTIVE. You could have volunteered at a vet (for example). Use this to tell the admissions tutors how you felt about seeing the animals, and why it's important to you to want to do this. Keep doing this throughout and start linking in your personal skills that you think is necessary to be a successful veterinary nurse. Basically, they want to see that you are committed to it, and that you've fully understood what is involved. Simply use your work experience for this, or other things you've seen or done related to what you want to do.

Hope that all makes sense! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending