The Student Room Group

Is work experience important when applying for robotics?

I didn't really do any work experience related to robotics but I have a lot of other stuff to show what i did to show interest in robotics.

for example I built a robot that avoids objects.
I have assembled a computer together from scratch.
I have written a small console application in python to show me the bus at home so I don't have to wait at the bus stop.
I have soldered together a burning laser from scratch (making the robot also included soldering the circuit together) so basically I have some soldering skills and some understanding of circuits.

would that be good enough to put on my personal statement or would I still need work experience?
Robotics and similar engineering degrees do not require work experience. You aren't committing to a specific profession by applying for a degree in this subject (although it is likely) and your degree is not subsidised by your future employer or likely to involve regular long term work placements throughout the course.

Work experience is sometimes helpful but it isn't necessary.

What is often beneficial for engineering degrees is examples of working in a team to complete a project/solve a problem. Most degrees of this type will involve group projects so demonstrating that you can work well in that environment is a good thing.
Work experience is only necessary for vocational courses - this doesn't include robotics. The sort of practical experiences you mention there sound really good (the first one maybe the most)
Reply 3
Alright :smile: Thanks guys :biggrin: That helped!

Quick Reply