The Student Room Group

Not sure what do about my parents.

I feel my mother loves my father dearly. But I don't think it's mutual.

My dad insults, hits and shouts at my mother- sometimes in front of other relatives.

My relatives probably talk about this relationship behind our backs, but do nothing at all.

What do I do?

I don't want my dad to go to jail and I very much doubt they'd do counselling.

Their marriage was arranged and tbh, my mum is pretty weak-minded.

My parents will never leave each other because of my sister and I, even though I've told them so many times to separate.

I just have no idea what to do.
Reply 1
How old are you? Your dad is an abusive husband and father and he must be stopped.
Reply 2
I'm 18. Whenever I hear my dad hitting my mum I always have to restrain him and pull him back.
Waiting for "are your parents asian"
Reply 4
Quality help...
Reply 5
I was in a situation like this, my mum used to be beaten but one day she left him she couldn't stick it anymore he started cheating and beating my mum and us, it wasn't good, but like your mum she stayed because of us, my mum looked at other houses to live in temporarily just to get away, this was 5 years ago and we are happier now, I don't see my biological father and I'm fine with that,

Sorry that's not much help, there's not a lot you can do really just be there for your mum and stay strong,

It will work itself out in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by beckyb95
I was in a situation like this, my mum used to be beaten but one day she left him she couldn't stick it anymore he started cheating and beating my mum and us, it wasn't good, but like your mum she stayed because of us, my mum looked at other houses to live in temporarily just to get away, this was 5 years ago and we are happier now, I don't see my biological father and I'm fine with that,

Sorry that's not much help, there's not a lot you can do really just be there for your mum and stay strong,

It will work itself out in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your words of support. I just don't see my mum ever leaving; she'll worry about me and my sister too much or she'll be scared of what other relatives think.

I'm thinking of telling my great-uncle about what's happening- I'm sure he'll know what to do. It's just that I'm scared my parents will be angry with me when they find out what I've been doing.
Reply 7
There are helplines you can call, I can't think of the numbers off the top of my head but I will PM them to you if you like. If anything though, get help and try to hang in there.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much for your words of support. I just don't see my mum ever leaving; she'll worry about me and my sister too much or she'll be scared of what other relatives think.

I'm thinking of telling my great-uncle about what's happening- I'm sure he'll know what to do. It's just that I'm scared my parents will be angry with me when they find out what I've been doing.

No problem, just hope it works out for you, it's hard in your position and having to stop it as well, it's good talking to someone who was in the same situation,

I personally think that's a good idea, it's best to tell someone so that if worst comes to worst something they did find out and the beatings for worse there would be someone your mum could ring to come and help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending