The Student Room Group

Is IT Help desk/IT Support jobs boring?

I could imagine it would get boring very quickly...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
It depends on the type of work that you're doing and how it's all balanced.

In my experience I've found that you often do get a lot of similar issues coming up, and you often go through the same process to resolve them. However you do also get more unusual problems being reported which can be a bit of a challenge to resolve.

You may also find that being in IT Support you get involved with one off projects such as the roll out of a new system.
Reply 2
Well I'm currently on placement and my job is basicly IT Support, and to be honest. It is really boring. I sit here all day browsing the internet doing nothing as no one needs my help, and when they do, it takes 2mins to fix it.

I literally do 30mins of working a day, if that, the rest I sit here just browsing the internet. I'm losing the will to live.
Reply 3
Original post by Dynastyuk

I literally do 30mins of working a day, if that, the rest I sit here just browsing the internet. I'm losing the will to live.

Sounds like your employer needs to re-evaluate their resource requirements.

Our helpdesk guys stay pretty busy throughout the day with a large variety of incidents.
Reply 4
Original post by Waka Flocka
I could imagine it would get boring very quickly...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the type of company and area of support.

If you're proving support to external customers, chances are that it will be on a single piece of software and you will see the same things come up over and over.

If you are providing internal IT support, you will see literally thousands of different issues and it remains interesting.
Reply 5
Original post by Reue
Sounds like your employer needs to re-evaluate their resource requirements.

Our helpdesk guys stay pretty busy throughout the day with a large variety of incidents.

Well, I agree with you tbh. Our IT Manager is busy, I'm not, and no matter what I say, nothing gets done.
Reply 6
Well, I agree with you tbh. Our IT Manager is busy, I'm not, and no matter what I say, nothing gets done.

Spend the time productively then learning new things
Reply 7
Original post by Reue
Spend the time productively then learning new things

Already ahead of you :smile: In 2months I've taught myself Python & Linux.
Reply 8
Already ahead of you :smile: In 2months I've taught myself Python & Linux.

Are those the technologies you support or did you teach yourself these for enjoyment / personal development?

I think if your manager is busy but you're not then this could be because a lot of unusual problems come up and they can't justify spending time showing you how to fix them if you're only going to use those skills a couple of times.

What I'd recommend is that you show a willingness to try and resolve issues that you wouldn't currently be able to resolve, particularly if you see any that come up in ticket queues repeatedly. Also make sure that when you don't have any work to do then you ask if they have anything for you. Eventually they should be able to give you more work to do that way, and if you perform it well then they would feel more comfortable handing things to you.
Reply 9
Depends on lots of things: a. is there a lot to support/help with b. what level of support you are offering - there are different levels requiring different levels of technical skill. Whilst 1st line support might be a case of 'turn it off and then on again' 3rd line support is much more technical and demanding so a 1st line support job can lead you on to a more technical and interesting role. c. do you like dealing with people and problems. If not then don't bother with a support role or you'll hate it. You might know everything about a system or whatever but someone else doesn't and it's your job to help them.
Reply 10
Hello TSR

I would like ask do you guys believe this is the easiest route to breaking into IT after graduating from a non-technical background and wishing to pursue a career change into this field?

Btw I am a experienced chemistry graduate with little experience/exposure to working in IT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never done it, but mate was helpdesk for a few years... and from what he said and how i imagine it from my software knowledge i can say it would be boring as ****!
Reply 12
How many graduates actually work as Helpdesk analysts/in 1st line support?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Singh89
Hello TSR

I would like ask do you guys believe this is the easiest route to breaking into IT after graduating from a non-technical background and wishing to pursue a career change into this field?

Btw I am a experienced chemistry graduate with little experience/exposure to working in IT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Easiest perhaps, but also lowest.

Have you applied to IBM, Accenture ect? - they aren't much bothered about your degree for a lot of their roles, if anything you're more technical than many they take on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending