The Student Room Group

Food to take to uni

So I'm moving in to my halls on Sunday and am doing a final food shop soon, and I was wondering what food is best to take to uni to last for the first few days? I was thinking pasta, pasta sauces, rice etc but other than that I'm not too sure.

If anyone could help me out that would be great, thanks.
Original post by podrodow1
So I'm moving in to my halls on Sunday and am doing a final food shop soon, and I was wondering what food is best to take to uni to last for the first few days? I was thinking pasta, pasta sauces, rice etc but other than that I'm not too sure.

Enough pasta and rice to last you a long time is a good idea - get some massive bags. Obviously something to put on the rice - I quite like tinned chilli, but you could also get some curry paste or something.

You'll also want quick snacks - instant noodles are obviously popular, but whatever you like really that can make a small meal if you don't have much time. Tins of beans and soup are other good choices.
Reply 2
Original post by PythianLegume
Enough pasta and rice to last you a long time is a good idea - get some massive bags. Obviously something to put on the rice - I quite like tinned chilli, but you could also get some curry paste or something.

You'll also want quick snacks - instant noodles are obviously popular, but whatever you like really that can make a small meal if you don't have much time. Tins of beans and soup are other good choices.

So you wouldn't recommend taking any meat/poultry or anything like that?
Definitely take some form of meat! You want something to go with the rice/pasta etc!
I prefer to get frozen chicken breast pieces personally, as they'll last longer than getting fresh. Or even buy fresh and stick it in the freezer. I also get quorn mince and burgers, and that's generally my meat options. (quorn because I dislike the smell of normal mince cooking and I don't think they taste much different!)

Tinned foods like sweetcorn and chopped tomatoes are good to add to meals - use for pastas, bolognese, chilli etc. Stir fry noodles/sauces are also good as they last a while in the cupboard and make an easy meal just throwing meat and veg together!
ditch the carbs and get some protein
get some chicken, put it in the freezer
you're sorted

I would definitely take some proper food too! Just get some freezer bags too so if there's not enough room for it in your fridge, you can take things (e.g. chicken breasts) out of the packaging to save space or put them in the freezer.

I'd also recommend buying a few boxes of cereal, jam/spreads to put on toast, tinned fruit maybe? Also, maybe some fresh fruit that you can keep in your room/doesn't need to be in the fridge, again thinking about how much space you'll have.

Are you paying for the shopping, or are your parents buying it for you? It sounds cheeky, but if your parents are paying, get as much stuff as possible!

EDIT: Salt and pepper is a must have for me. Also, tea/coffee/hot chocolate if you drink any of those.
(edited 9 years ago)

If you have a freezer, then go for it. I only had a fridge, so didn't take any fresh stuff with me, but bought it there as and when I needed it.
I am in catered halls so unsure what sort of food items to take (mainly for my room) and food i can keep in a fridge...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get all those random yet expensive must haves, like some nice spices, coffee, tea, condiments... Things that last forever but add up to a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
They do have shops at / near unis lol. No need to cart jumbo bags of rice across the country.

Pasta🍝 and macaroni salad are delicious ,also sushi🍣.I hope you are not allergic to shrimps.Also, doohnut sounds yummy.😊
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Old_Simon
They do have shops at / near unis lol. No need to cart jumbo bags of rice across the country.

This comment wins. Actually lol'd.

Repped

Original post by 0mgJohn
This comment wins. Actually lol'd.

Hahaha me too
Reply 13
Original post by Da Di Doo
Repped

Hahaha me too

My Mum is so convinced I'll end up living off rubbish and fast food, that she's contemplating ordering online from Tesco or somewhere, and getting it delivered to my halls! hahaha
Original post by 0mgJohn
My Mum is so convinced I'll end up living off rubbish and fast food, that she's contemplating ordering online from Tesco or somewhere, and getting it delivered to my halls! hahaha

Loool! Atleast you get free food haha
Reply 15

I think the point is that anything you bring with you gets paid for by someone else, and you can divert those funds to some other activity. Pre-paying your carousing, in effect.

All my self-catered friends at uni tend to buy all their food in bulk,cook it, freeze it and then microwave it whenever they're hungry. That'll make your food last ages, certainly more than the first few days.
Reply 17
Just get some cupboard staples really. Pasta, rice, oatmeal & couscous should be enough for a few weeks. A few cans of stuff is a good idea too, like, tinned tomatoes, beans, etc that you can add to cooking. Tea/coffee, sauces like ketchup, pasta sauces and mayo and some extra stuff like sugar, honey, etc.

The rest of the food shop can be done when you get there. Get some chicken breasts, mince, frozen veg, milk and eggs and it should last a while. :smile:
Reply 18

You can. Just don't wait too long to eat it.

Quick Reply

Latest