The Student Room Group

STEP maths mindset?

So, recently I've been doing some step 1 and step 2 q's for uni prep. Although I find the actual math to be approachable, I am struggling as to how you are meant to understand which direction to go with the question. I try to look for hints in the way the solution looks or the way the paper has phrased the question. However a lot of the time I am finding that I can't work out what would even make another student go in a particular direction with the question. I've only been doing them for a few weeks now, so I'm not sure if at some point I'll just get used to how to approach the questions or if there is another angle I should be looking at them with

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!:biggrin:
Reply 1
So, recently I've been doing some step 1 and step 2 q's for uni prep. Although I find the actual math to be approachable, I am struggling as to how you are meant to understand which direction to go with the question. I try to look for hints in the way the solution looks or the way the paper has phrased the question. However a lot of the time I am finding that I can't work out what would even make another student go in a particular direction with the question. I've only been doing them for a few weeks now, so I'm not sure if at some point I'll just get used to how to approach the questions or if there is another angle I should be looking at them with

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!:biggrin:
You should improve with practice and experience, but the fact is that finding the right approach to a STEP question is *much* harder than doing so at A-level.

Don't forget, you only answer 6 questions in the exam (typically). Most people find that being able to "see" how to approach a question is a good reason to choose it as one of the 6 to attempt.

Quick Reply

Latest