The Student Room Group

C1 help

I'm stuck on two questions; the first is:
The equation x²+3px+p=0 where p is a non zero constant, has equal roots.
Find the value of p. I substitued abc into b²-4ac=0 and got 9p²-4p=0.
I don't really know what to do next. I tried factorising but that gives me two different answers. p=0 or p=-4/9. The -4/9 seems more correct than 0 but it doesn't seem right. The final equation is supposed to have two roots and factorise. Can someone show me where I went wrong?

The next question is: f(x)=x²+4kx+(3+11k) where k is a constant
Express f(x) in the form (x+p)²+q where p and q are constants to be found in terms of k.

I assumed it meant complete the square so I did: (x+4k/2)²-(4k/2)²
It then says f(x)=0 has no real roots, find the set of possible values of k. How do I do this, I can't use the normal method can I? since there's no roots and they want a set of possible values.

Sorry for the length, any help is much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Year11guy
I don't really know what to do next. I tried factorising but that gives me two different answers. p=0 or p=-4/9. The -4/9 seems more correct than 0 but it doesn't seem right. The final equation is supposed to have two roots and factorise. Can someone show me where I went wrong?

The question says that p is a non-zero constant which is the reason why you should reject p=0.

Your solution p=-4/9 should be p=4/9 - Let me know if you can't find your mistake.

If p=4/9 then you have

x2+129x+49=0x^2+\frac{12}{9}x+\frac{4}{9}=0

Try multiplying this equation by 9 then you should find it easier to factorise.

You made a sign error; it should be p=4/9.

We can discard the p=0
Edit: As notnek (PRSOM) said - you're told p is non-zero.

Express f(x) in the form (x+p)²+q where p and q are constants to be found in terms of k.

What happened to the 3+11k?

It then says f(x)=0 has no real roots, find the set of possible values of k. How do I do this, I can't use the normal method can I? since there's no roots and they want a set of possible values.

Sorry for the length, any help is much appreciated.

If you rearrange your equation to (x+2k)^2= "something"

Then that something must be negative for no real roots, and that gives you the desired condition which you need to investigate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3

You subtracted (4k/2)² but forgot to add on (3+11k). Does this make sense?

Try correcting this part and post your working if you're still stuck.
Reply 4
Original post by notnek
You subtracted (4k/2)² but forgot to add on (3+11k). Does this make sense?

Try correcting this part and post your working if you're still stuck.

Wait, was I right to complete the square? If so, I thought to complete the square it is : (x+b/2)²-(b/2)² and you disregard c, or am I incorrect?
Reply 5
Wait, was I right to complete the square? If so, I thought to complete the square it is : (x+b/2)²-(b/2)² and you disregard c, or am I incorrect?

Yes, completing the square is correct.

(x+b/2)²-(b/2)² = + bx + (b/2)² - (b/2)² = + bx

Your method will only give you + bx. So you're right that doing this will disregard c but why would you want to do that?
Reply 6
Original post by notnek
Yes, completing the square is correct.

(x+b/2)²-(b/2)² = + bx + (b/2)² - (b/2)² = + bx

Your method will only give you + bx. So you're right that doing this will disregard c but why would you want to do that?

I'm sorry, I'm lost. Starting from the original equation:
x²+4kx+(3+11k)

Completing the square would give (x+4k/2)²-(4k/2)² but you want me to add on (3+11k) but the question wants it expressed in the form (x+p)²+q where p and q are constants to be found in terms of k.
Reply 7
I'm sorry, I'm lost. Starting from the original equation:
x²+4kx+(3+11k)

Completing the square would give (x+4k/2)²-(4k/2)² but you want me to add on (3+11k) but the question wants it expressed in the form (x+p)²+q where p and q are constants to be found in terms of k.

You'll still have something of the form (x+p)²+q if you add on (3+11k) - p and q are in terms of k.

-(4k/2)^2 + (3+11k) is in terms of k so it's fine. You can simplify it though.
Reply 8
Ok, so I got (x+2k)²-(2k)²+(3+11k). What steps do I take to find the set of possible values of k. Am I right in expanding and simplifying to get : x²+4kx+3+11k?
Reply 9
Ok, so I got (x+2k)²-(2k)²+(3+11k). What steps do I take to find the set of possible values of k. Am I right in expanding and simplifying to get : x²+4kx+3+11k?

No because now you're back to where you started :smile:

Have a look at then end of Ghostwalker's post for the next step.
Reply 10
Original post by notnek
No because now you're back to where you started :smile:

Have a look at then end of Ghostwalker's post for the next step.

I just substituted the original equation into b²-4ac<0 since there's no real roots. I got k<-3 and k<1/4
I just substituted the original equation into b²-4ac<0 since there's no real roots. I got k<-3 and k<1/4

Your critical points have the right magnitude, but the wrong signs, and one should be ">"
Reply 12
Original post by ghostwalker
Your critical points have the right magnitude, but the wrong signs, and one should be ">"

Should they be: k>-3 and k<1/4
Should they be: k>-3 and k<1/4

'Fraid not. They both have the wrong sign. Post some working if you don't see why, as you may have the initial inequality incorrect too.
Reply 14
'Fraid not. They both have the wrong sign. Post some working if you don't see why, as you may have the initial inequality incorrect too.

Ok, if there's no real roots, then b²-4ac<0. I substituted in a,b and c so it's a=1 b=4kx c=(3+11k). This makes (4k)²-(4*1(3+11k). This simplifies to:
16k²-12+44k=0 This simplifies to 4k²+11k-3=0. This factorises to:
(4k-1)(k+3) The solutions are -3 and 1/4. I don't really get what to do next.
Ok, if there's no real roots, then b²-4ac<0. I substituted in a,b and c so it's a=1 b=4kx c=(3+11k). This makes (4k)²-(4*1(3+11k). This simplifies to:
16k²-12+44k=0

Should be 16k21244k=016k^2-12-44k=0

The minus sign outside the brackets effects both the "3" and the "11k".
Reply 16
Should be 16k21244k=016k^2-12-44k=0

The minus sign outside the brackets effects both the "3" and the "11k".

So, the answers K<3 or K>-1/4
So, the answers K<3 or K>-1/4

k<3 and k>-1/4 i.e it's in the interval (-1/4,3)

Edit: Corrected - thanks Mr M
(edited 9 years ago)
k>3 and k>-1/4 i.e it's in the interval (-1/4,3)

You don't mean k>3 and at this level they should write 14<k<3-\frac{1}{4}<k<3
Reply 19
Original post by Mr M
You don't mean k>3 and at this level they should write 14<k<3-\frac{1}{4}<k<3

If I don't put it in that form, will I lose marks? Also, shouldn't it less than or equal to since they're solutions too?

Quick Reply

Latest