The Student Room Group

Final year in nursing failed two modules and i need some advice...

So three years at university and on my final year i failed two modules. The exam board decision has given me a diploma in higher education in health and social care. I do not know what to do with the diploma.

questions
am i able to retake third year again? Or do i need to start from the beginning?
would i be able to transfer to another university to finish my studies.

thanks would appreciate some good advice on how to proceed with my studies?
you have been awarded a 'consolation prize' with the Health and Social care Dip HE

the fact you have been awarded the consolation prize dipHE suggests that your (?repeated ) failures are Practice / FtP related and the board felt that you were not going to be able ot meet an acceptable standard for you to be signed off to the NMC as competent.

if you were going to be able to retake / extend your course (usually only possible if you borderline fail one practice module) / defer and repeat you would have been offered this option by the boardat that time or by the course leader / dean of school prior to board

Unfortunately another HEI is unlikely to touch you for a number of years, if at all , and even then there may be funding issues ( as the few 'second bite' RNs i know bombed out of pre-HE employee pre-reg and their 'second bite started from scratch post P2k once the universities controlled admission and funding was via the P2K bursary system)
(edited 9 years ago)
Name of uni?
I would imagine unfortunately that you have been discharged as it were from university and that there is no prospect of you taking the third year again. If the university were to grant you mitigating circumstances or the such then you would have presumably had an invitation to re-enrol in the third year again for the next semester and complete your studies.

The answer to this is surely going to rest upon your individual case and the university. I don't think anyone here can give you advice and I would be in touch with the university to ask them the questions you have put down here.

Presumably if you failed two modules you were given a change to re-do them and to get the required 40% to pass? If you failed the modules again at the second attempt then the university has no obligation to allow you to continue to a third attempt and this it would appear is what they have decided to do here.
Original post by vincentlaw
Name of uni?

pretty much irrelevant as 2 failures and you are out ( barring extenuating circs) is standard practice in pre-reg regardless of Uni or future profession.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey! I feel like I have failed one of my modules that I have retaken, I would just like to know what u did? Or what are the options! I feel like crap atm plz let me know. Thanks
Original post by Aliya Ahmed
Hey! I feel like I have failed one of my modules that I have retaken, I would just like to know what u did? Or what are the options! I feel like crap atm plz let me know. Thanks

i feel for you. after your first fail did you alter the essay to meet the marking advice on your first. if so try not to panic. even ifyou have messed up theres nowt to be done. sostay calm an hope.

re the person with a double failure you dont mention what your practice grades were like. did you finish your last placement and were you signed off. i wonder if the ou could top up your hnd to a degree if the only issue was your essays dont lose heart completely. i have to ask what was the cause for this poor performance.

Quick Reply

Latest