Going to uni REALLY soon! FREAKING OUT - thinking of taking a gap year. HELP! Watch

queenofdisastxr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm suppose to be moving to a good uni for physics after achieving AAA in my A Levels. But this uni is roughly 3/4 hours away from home and I don't think I can do it! Yesterday I went and spoke to a teacher at my school and she said at the end of the day its my decision to make.
I'm having serious doubts about studying physics and would rather apply for something like Natural Sciences or Chemistry. I've spoken to the Natural Sciences and Chemistry admissions tutor at UCL and they were quite nice. Natural Sciences said AAA application would be a strong one and it should be strong enough for an offer, they didn't underline should be, but I am, is that a good sign or no? Chemistry said what I have is enough, but they knew I had applied for Physics the year earlier and thought I might be unsure. They both had positive replies to resits as I already had the entry requirement grades but NatSci entry requirement is A*AA - AAA. Right now I'm 99.9% convinced I'll be happier studying chemistry. But if I was to get an offer and lets says, next year I wanted to switch to Natural Sciences, would it be possible?
I honestly think I don't want to move to uni right now, I'm not prepared for it, I don't want to leave my family and London because I know I'll just get really homesick, and to be quite honest, I can force myself the first year but after that I don't think I would want to return for the second year. The thought of leaving my family has made me sick to the point where I'm just really depressed and not even eating properly.
When I was applying through UCAS, I was unsure between physics and chemistry and eventually went with physics. But my plan was to get atleast one A* and then take a gap year and reapply. I never had my heart set on this uni.
Is it in my best interests to take a gap year and sort my life out? I really need some advice.
lyrical_lie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest, I think you need to have a serious thought about why you're uncertain. If it's just the homesickness then you'll have that no matter what uni you're at and if it's the course then look at that. If you are completely convinced you do not want to study physics, then by all means take a gap year. Better that than starting a course, dropping out and potentially causing issues with SFE. Which is something you need to consider. Also you know there's always going to be a chance you might not get into uni, but at least you know you have the grades it's more about writing a killer PS and being really sure that's what you want to study. Also many students take a gap year for a variety of reason and as such it won't make much of difference age wise and friendshipwise if you start a year later. I'd write a pro and cons list. But I do that for everything. Also if you were to do a gap year I would suggest exactly what it is you'll do as a year is a long time to sit about doing nothing when a lot of your friends might be moving away.

Hope this helps.
(Original post by queenofdisastxr)
I'm suppose to be moving to a good uni for physics after achieving AAA in my A Levels. But this uni is roughly 3/4 hours away from home and I don't think I can do it! Yesterday I went and spoke to a teacher at my school and she said at the end of the day its my decision to make.
I'm having serious doubts about studying physics and would rather apply for something like Natural Sciences or Chemistry. I've spoken to the Natural Sciences and Chemistry admissions tutor at UCL and they were quite nice. Natural Sciences said AAA application would be a strong one and it should be strong enough for an offer, they didn't underline should be, but I am, is that a good sign or no? Chemistry said what I have is enough, but they knew I had applied for Physics the year earlier and thought I might be unsure. They both had positive replies to resits as I already had the entry requirement grades but NatSci entry requirement is A*AA - AAA. Right now I'm 99.9% convinced I'll be happier studying chemistry. But if I was to get an offer and lets says, next year I wanted to switch to Natural Sciences, would it be possible?
I honestly think I don't want to move to uni right now, I'm not prepared for it, I don't want to leave my family and London because I know I'll just get really homesick, and to be quite honest, I can force myself the first year but after that I don't think I would want to return for the second year. The thought of leaving my family has made me sick to the point where I'm just really depressed and not even eating properly.
When I was applying through UCAS, I was unsure between physics and chemistry and eventually went with physics. But my plan was to get atleast one A* and then take a gap year and reapply. I never had my heart set on this uni.
Is it in my best interests to take a gap year and sort my life out? I really need some advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads