The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it was an offer from York/Exeter within a couple of days of each other.
For me it was Imperial (my top choice). It was only a few weeks after I submitted my application. UCL was the worse and took three months :P
Original post by Alex347_
Includes rejections. Just curious innit manz.:cool:

There are clearly some universities now making mechanised offers. Last year there were people posting on TSR who received offers within 30 minutes of submitting their applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Durham first, in early October, followed by York and Southampton a few weeks later, then Cambridge much later, in January. Durham have a reputation for taking ages though, so I'm not really sure why they replied so quickly for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I think I sent my application 28th October

Offers from Liverpool and Glasgow just over an hour apart on the 30th October
Loughborough on the 8th November
York on the 18th December (After interview)
Withdrew from Edinburgh, but I hadn't heard anything from them by the time I got my York offer
Reply 6
Original post by RosieEPQ
Durham first, in early October, followed by York and Southampton a few weeks later, then Cambridge much later, in January. Durham have a reputation for taking ages though, so I'm not really sure why they replied so quickly for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah surprising! I just came back from the Durham open day, and for International Relations they say they shortlist and then take a gathered field approach after the January deadline. But for History they said they make offers continuously. So I guess its reputation is right for some departments.
Reply 7
Original post by nulli tertius
There are clearly some universities now making mechanised offers. Last year there were people posting on TSR who received offers within 30 minutes of submitting their applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?! Which universities were these! Shocking.
Includes rejections. Just curious innit manz.:cool:

Mine was Canterbury Christ church, if got an interview date the day after I sent off my application in September last year. My last to get in touch was durham university a month after I sent off my application. I'm going to durham on Wednesday!
Coventry, the day after I applied, all of my others were within 3 weeks, except from York, which took months! :angry: Still firmed them though cause it's York and I think it's fab :tongue:
Really?! Which universities were these! Shocking.

Why?

Most universities make most offers based on predicted grades only.

Everyone who is given a particular predicted grade gets an offer. Why are you paying real live humans to do that exercise, which is ideal for a computer?

Obviously this isn't true for the most competitive universities and courses where the numbers of applicants with the requisite predictions far exceeds the number of places. Nor is it true for subjects such as medicine, nursing and teaching where soft skills are important.

But for others, surely the time of admissions staff is better spent on deciding which of those candidates who do not have the straightforward predicted grades for admission for whatever reason should be let in rather than nodding through people who are inevitably going to get offers?

I can't search to find universities from last year but here is a thread with me saying the same thing last year and another experienced member of TSR agreeing with me.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2516303&p=45193700#post45193700

I am also linking to another post from mine from the 2012/3 cycle (which uses 2010 data) but gives some context to really how few applications that meet required grades are rejected and how these are clustered in a few universities and subjects.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2336662&p=42440205#post42440205
I think it was Bristol.
University of Winchester 2 weeks after I applied.
I am still waiting on Kent, Sheffield, and Brunel.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Offer from Warwick in mid October.
Warwick gave me a conditional offer for History two days after I applied lol I was so happy
Reply 15
Bath gave me an offer for computer science in just under 90 minutes. Imperial still haven't acknowledged I exist, but the other 3 have done that (and only that) so far.
In order:

Leicester (Offer)
Reading (Offer)
Edinburgh (Rejection)
Exeter (Rejection)
Nottingham (Offer for different degree)
Reply 17
Original post by TVIO
Bath gave me an offer for computer science in just under 90 minutes. Imperial still haven't acknowledged I exist, but the other 3 have done that (and only that) so far.

90 minutes? What a beast you are haha. Nah seriously, did your predicted grades exceed substantially, their entry requirements?
Kent - 1st (1 week after application sent) Offer
Just to echo what others have said, Warwick and Southampton were incredibly quick and made me an offer within a matter of days. The longest wait I had was Leeds, which took nearly three months.

Original post by CallMeBatwoman
Coventry, the day after I applied, all of my others were within 3 weeks, except from York, which took months! :angry: Still firmed them though cause it's York and I think it's fab :tongue:

York are really slow to make offers. I remember one poor guy in my class at college didn't get his decision until the very latest deadline which was like Easter time, he had sent his application off in time for the Oxbridge deadline in mid October.