The Student Room Group

Cheapest London Transport?!

I am going to London in October for 3 days with a group of us for a wedding, what is the cheapest and easiest way to travel around there?? Trying to be somewhat organised in advance so any help would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by chab92
I am going to London in October for 3 days with a group of us for a wedding, what is the cheapest and easiest way to travel around there?? Trying to be somewhat organised in advance so any help would be appreciated :smile:

Buses are probably your cheapest option. The bus network across London is very reliable with most services running every 3-5 minutes in Central London, and some are 24 hour buses too.

It's £1.40 for each journey on an Oyster card, or you can also pay using contactless cards if you've got one of those. Oyster cards are available from any London Underground ticket office or tourist information centre for £10 and I'm fairly sure they'll refund this fee if you return the Oyster card before you leave London.

There's more information on it here - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/
Boris Bikes are pretty cheap if you are that way inclined

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/barclays-cycle-hire/what-you-pay
On Saturday and Sunday any Oyster or contact less payments will be capped at £7 per day for zone 1-2 or £7.70 for zone 1-4. It's a little more on a weekday on peak but not horrendous. That will cover all buses and tubes. See the tfl website for more precise capping levels.
It might be better to get a paper travel card. A zone 1-6 is £8.90 per day but you don't have to worry about tapping in or out and getting charged maximum fares etc. With an oyster card you need to tap out every time even when the gates are open and its easy to forget about it. £7 for each mistake.
Reply 5
Original post by Alex17595
It might be better to get a paper travel card. A zone 1-6 is £8.90 per day but you don't have to worry about tapping in or out and getting charged maximum fares etc. With an oyster card you need to tap out every time even when the gates are open and its easy to forget about it. £7 for each mistake.

I suppose one thing to check is which zones you'll be travelling in. If you'll only be in the centre then you can get by with fewer zones.
Reply 6
I’m soon to be starting uni London based and will be living at home in Hersham (Surrey) and will be heading to New Cross station from here at least 3-5 days a week. Obviously I’ll be travelling peak time from about 8-8.30AM aiming to arrive about 10am. I do have an oyster card and a 16-25, but I’m trying to work out the cheapest way for me to go as well as the quickest, as season ticket travelcards are so expensive.
One way I have thought is to go from Hersham to Surbiton via paper return ticket which is £5, and then use my oyster from Surbiton to New Cross. I know the zone fares between Waterloo and New Cross yet don’t fully understand the time caps. But also I don’t know how to find out how much it charges between Surb and Waterloo.
What is the easiest way to explain this baring in mind I have only used my oyster by short bus journeys in Surbiton? Or are there any other suggestions you have in taking that whole journey?
Basically I’m hoping to get something for about under 15 a day if possible
Thanks
if you have an oyster card you can get an hours worth of bus travel for £1.50. or a Khan bike
Reply 8
oover javer

Quick Reply

Latest