The Student Room Group

Mr Olympia Weekend

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Genocidal
Nope, I'm six foot three actually. :smile:

Just pointing out that there's something pathetic about a contest that involves men fawning over the bodies of half-naked men dressed in thongs whilst drugged up to the max. And then some people actually refer to it as a sport. :rolleyes:

The millions of fans would disagree, but, whatever.
Nope, I'm six foot three actually. :smile:

Just pointing out that there's something pathetic about a contest that involves men fawning over the bodies of half-naked men dressed in thongs whilst drugged up to the max. And then some people actually refer to it as a sport. :rolleyes:

I don't really know anything about the sport but I'd hardly call something which requires a lifetime of dedication and training, pathetic. You have to respect their work ethic, the ones who do it naturally at least.
Original post by IanDangerously
I don't really know anything about the sport but I'd hardly call something which requires a lifetime of dedication and training, pathetic. You have to respect their work ethic, the ones who do it naturally at least.

implying that people on gear don't work hard...

The whole drugs debate is stupid. Professional athletes from all sorts of sports use PEDs. Get over it. Sport would be crap without them.
Reply 44

Naturally?

All of these guys juice..... bodybuilding without drugs is like F1 without fuel.
Original post by commandant
The millions of fans would disagree, but, whatever.

Millions of people also think the likes of One Direction and Justin Bieber are examples of great music. Bodybuilding is just an industry that has forever played on the insecurities of young men.

First of all, you won't find a single natural bodybuilder at a competitive level. They wouldn't stand a chance against the others. Yes, sometimes they have drug testing, but it's common knowledge that they're easy to beat. Natural bodybuilding is practically an oxymoron in itself.

Just because it requires a lifetime of dedication and training doesn't validate it. I could spend my whole life dedicated to smashing my head against a brick wall. At the end of it the only thing I've proven is that I'm really good at dedicating myself to a pathetic pursuit. Points for dedication but it doesn't validate the bodybuilding movement in the slightest.
Reply 46
Millions of people also think the likes of One Direction and Justin Bieber are examples of great music. Bodybuilding is just an industry that has forever played on the insecurities of young men.

First of all, you won't find a single natural bodybuilder at a competitive level. They wouldn't stand a chance against the others. Yes, sometimes they have drug testing, but it's common knowledge that they're easy to beat. Natural bodybuilding is practically an oxymoron in itself.

Just because it requires a lifetime of dedication and training doesn't validate it. I could spend my whole life dedicated to smashing my head against a brick wall. At the end of it the only thing I've proven is that I'm really good at dedicating myself to a pathetic pursuit. Points for dedication but it doesn't validate the bodybuilding movement in the slightest.

Ok you don't like bodybuilding. Thanks for the input.

If you could make a new thread discussing how you dislike the sport and let us discuss the me olympia that'd be great.

Talking with you is like banging your head against the wall, so do us all a favour and move along.

(edited 9 years ago)
The whole drugs debate is stupid. Professional athletes from all sorts of sports use PEDs. Get over it. Sport would be crap without them.

Strong this.

I appreciate the guys on stage's dedication to their training and competition, I just don't think it's aesthetic to have a GH gut lol.
Original post by SickBrah
Ok you don't like bodybuilding. Thanks for the input.

If you could make a new thread discussing how you dislike the sport and let us discuss the me olympia that'd be great.

Talking with you is like banging your head against the wall, so do us all a favour and move along.

Nope. :shoot:

Plays on the insecurities of young men? You, my friend, are the insecure one. You're against the bodybuilding lark because you're a 6ft 3 skinny bean pole and you're jealous because they look like Greek gods and are able to get girls as wet as October.

You've made your point.

or

Now leave.
Plays on the insecurities of young men? You, my friend, are the insecure one. You're against the bodybuilding lark because you're a 6ft 3 skinny bean pole and you're jealous because they look like Greek gods and are able to get girls as wet as October.

You've made your point.

or

Now leave.

At 15 stone I must be the bulkiest beanpole in the world today.

And if you're going for such a body to get women then that makes you the insecure one. The fact is if you honestly disagree that bodybuilding isn't designed to attack the insecurities of young men, largely, then the chances are you're delusional.

I mean if you look at actual sports like powerlifting or strongman or whatever you're actually competing on a performance level, as in who is the strongest. Bodybuilding is essentially a competition over who can take the most drugs and who can give a judge the biggest erection.

And if you're going for such a body to get women then that makes you the insecure one. The fact is if you honestly disagree that bodybuilding isn't designed to attack the insecurities of young men, largely, then the chances are you're delusional.

I mean if you look at actual sports like powerlifting or strongman or whatever you're actually competing on a performance level, as in who is the strongest. Bodybuilding is essentially a competition over who can take the most drugs and who can give a judge the biggest erection.

Hardly, because if it was, any old fool would be able to take drugs and enter the Olympia. If your average person took drugs to bodybuild, they would look average on an amateur stage and not go any further. Drugs are only a part of the parcel. It clearly shows how little you know about the sport of bodybuilding. 99% of people on this forum wouldn't look good on stage, that's the reality of it.

I'm not going for such a body, I know I won't achieve it. I bodybuild for fun. I am happily engaged to be married.
Hardly, because if it was, any old fool would be able to take drugs and enter the Olympia. If your average person took drugs to bodybuild, they would look average on an amateur stage and not go any further. Drugs are only a part of the parcel. It clearly shows how little you know about the sport of bodybuilding. 99% of people on this forum wouldn't look good on stage, that's the reality of it.

I'm not going for such a body, I know I won't achieve it. I bodybuild for fun. I am happily engaged to be married.

I'm aware of how it works. No old person could just succeed because a lot of it is based around genetics as well as what you actually do in the gym.

What I meant with my comment about attacking insecurities is simply thus. They will post someone like Kai Green on a board and advertise to insecure young men that anyone can look like this. You can have the body of a god. Of course, they never advertise that these bodies are impossible to get without heavy amounts of drugs. And when people train train train and eventually realise this they naturally buy drugs. That's why we have the big supplement industry.

But in an industry that's based around vanity the vast majority of people are there because they're insecure about how they look currently. Now that might be because they don't get enough female attention. It also might be a serious mental issue where they have body dysmorphia. But the end result is the same.

In terms of whether it's a sport I can't consider it a sport because essentially it's all about who has the better body. But how does one objectively judge such a thing? I can judge someone who is faster, stronger, or who can jump higher. But I don't see how you can accurately judge something like this on any level. And that's ignoring how ****ing shady it is at the highest levels.

There are multiple reasons why I attack bodybuilding. Firstly, it's ****ing hilarious because bodybuilders tend to go ape whenever someone criticises them, so it's good to troll them sometimes. But I also can't support an industry that encourages such an unhealthy lifestyle where to succeed you have to take drugs and essentially become obsessed about every little facet of your body. I believe it's extremely damaging, and that's before we get to the part about 90% of the bodybuilding supplement industry selling useless crap that won't do a damn thing for anybody.
I know of two judges and the testing processes they had to pass were rigorous. Conditioning, size, stage presence, balance, and others all taken into account.

Anyway, I can't be bothered to argue anymore.

To everyone else - from what I've read from various experts, it doesn't seem like Kai has a chance tonight. We'll see of course. Will be watching the replays first thing tomorrow.
Reply 54

You've made your point.

or

Now leave.

This guys arms and delts are just unreal....

amazing development.

Debating if i should stay u and watch the stream ha
Reply 55

Powerlifters and strong men often look like ****. So many of these guys develop the refrigerator look. I have specifically avoided the whole push for powerlifting style training.

Powerlifting is so unnecessary. I don't squat or deadlift, i do a body building style weight training without either of these movements. Last time I attempted deadlifts I got 200kg for three, whereas my previous attempt maybe a year earlier was 180kg 1rm. I think I could prob get somewhere close to 220-230kg 1rm around that time.

I can understand why you're jealous of bodybuilders.

I as an athlete combine bodybuilding with martial arts .... I get aesthetic and big body 95kg at 6ft, but also fit and can kick ass...

Win win.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SickBrah
I don't see anything gay about it. I expect someone who inclined to homosexuality sees it where ever they look.

Ok, you go around and ask everybody you meet the following question and see what answer they give you.

"Which of these two scenarios sounds more gay to you. Two men playing tennis against each other or two men prancing around a stage, covered in fake tan and baby oil, wearing a thong."

I'm pretty sure not many are gonna say the tennis.

The difference is that in most sports the guys on PEDs are in a tiny minority.

A "sport" which has been taken to a point where unless you're drugged up to the eyeballs you don't stand a chance, how exactly is that good in any way?
Reply 58
Original post by mackemforever
Ok, you go around and ask everybody you meet the following question and see what answer they give you.

"Which of these two scenarios sounds more gay to you. Two men playing tennis against each other or two men prancing around a stage, covered in fake tan and baby oil, wearing a thong."

I'm pretty sure not many are gonna say the tennis.

You're missing the point.

It don't matter what anyone else say.

It matters what I say...

how many tennis players can crush 100kgx36 on the bench.... nuff said. Most of these f4660ts are running marathons.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mackemforever
The difference is that in most sports the guys on PEDs are in a tiny minority.

A "sport" which has been taken to a point where unless you're drugged up to the eyeballs you don't stand a chance, how exactly is that good in any way?

How do you know? No one knows for sure. A little amount or a big amount- it's still drugs and it crosses the line from being natural to enhanced.

Also, not all professional bodybuilders take bucket loads of drugs. Some will grow off very little; others will take lots.

Anyway it's pointless discussing this.

Phil Heath won again for a 4th time. Congratulations to him

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest