The Student Room Group

M1 SUVAT help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Diaz07
Oh alright, I wasn't sure whether to use negative or positive 9.8

Well it depends on the direction you take, if you take upwards as the positive direction then it is -9.8, if you use downwards then it is 9.8. If you think about it gravity is acceleration in a downwards direction, so it makes for it to be positive in that direction and negative when going upwards :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by TLK
It can since its a vector quantity. It can have a negative value depending on which direction you make positive.

Original post by TenOfThem
It is 9.8 in a downwards direction

If the OP chose to take up as the positive direction then a would be -9.8

I know, my answer was referring to the example I quoted from OP :smile:
Original post by Diaz07
Ahh okay, so if I pick down as positive both gravity and displacement will be positive in the downwards direction, I get it now thanks! But could you explain why you used positive 9.8 as the object is going up and then down, not just down if you get me?

gravity is always acting downwards no matter how the item is travelling

velocity will change depending on the direction of travel but not acceleration due to gravity
Reply 23
Original post by TenOfThem
gravity is always acting downwards no matter how the item is travelling

velocity will change depending on the direction of travel but not acceleration due to gravity

Okay, so all in all puck a positive direction and make sure its consistent throughout my calculations, thank you very much :biggrin:
Original post by Diaz07
Okay, so all in all puck a positive direction and make sure its consistent throughout my calculations, thank you very much :biggrin:

And draw a diagram

yes

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest