The Student Room Group

Is it possible to self teach GCSE maths from C grade to B in less than 2 months?

Hi, I got a C in GCSE maths and i'm planning on retaking as a private canidate. This would mean i would have to self teach and has been doing so for the past week or so. I was working on a B grade in class and was only 2 marks from a B in the exam. I need a B for the course i want to do at uni (computer science) and will do anything to achieve that grade. I bought the CGP book and the CD and i'm attending weekly tutoring lessons as private tutors are way too expensive. Do you guys think it's possible for me to get that B? Also do you guys reccommend doing anything else to help me secure? Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Definately, You can get an A* in that time. I got a D in my AS chemistry Mock about 3 weeks before the exam and came out with an A (borderline but still an A). If you put the hours in an A is easily within reach, its only GCSE :P
Original post by tshombe123
Hi, I got a C in GCSE maths and i'm planning on retaking as a private canidate. This would mean i would have to self teach and has been doing so for the past week or so. I was working on a B grade in class and was only 2 marks from a B in the exam. I need a B for the course i want to do at uni (computer science) and will do anything to achieve that grade. I bought the CGP book and the CD and i'm attending weekly tutoring lessons as private tutors are way too expensive. Do you guys think it's possible for me to get that B? Also do you guys reccommend doing anything else to help me secure? Thank you :smile:

Yes

Have you had your papers back so that you can see where you made mistakes and what to focus on

Do not worry if you feel that you are even further behind than you were in June - that is to be expected since you have not done any maths for a while
Absolutely , no doubt as long as you have the dedication, attitude and put in the hard work!
Reply 4
I revised 2 weeks before the exam went from F grade to high end B grade (I was couple marks away from A)
Reply 5
Thanks for your responses guys :smile: I think i got the C because i was too cocky and didn't revise as much as i should have. I was the smartest in my class and was also my teacher's favourite student so i guess that was my fault :/

Also how many hours should i revise a day? I was going through past papers and i forgot the easy things i knew in june..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
Yes

Have you had your papers back so that you can see where you made mistakes and what to focus on

Do not worry if you feel that you are even further behind than you were in June - that is to be expected since you have not done any maths for a while

No :frown:

And you're right, skimming through some past papers i realised i forgot a lot of easy things that i knew back in june :ashamed2:
Can someone help me with understanding how the IGCSE maths exam works, like how many paper there are and whats mathematics A and B ?
Reply 8
Of course u can .. Last year I was in foundation class (C grade) but I decided to enter the higher paper exam and lots of revision by myself in just one month and I got a B :smile: and now I am doing A-level maths.

For my revision I did a lot of exam paper and I used a CD. Also I used the best maths website ever hegartymaths.com it helped a lot.

I hope this will help u .. good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by yoomi
Of course u can .. Last year I was in foundation class (C grade) but I decided to enter the higher paper exam and lots of revision by myself in just one month and I got a B :smile: and now I am doing A-level maths.

For my revision I did a lot of exam paper and I used a CD. Also I used the best maths website ever hegartymaths.com it helped a lot.

I hope this will help u .. good luck :smile:

Thats amazing! I would love to achieve that or higher. Can i ask how many hours you revised a day? Hegarty maths is pretty amazing, love his site. Also do u reccommended doing past papers now or should i finish goimg through the workbook? Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest