The Student Room Group

worried about freshers!!

okay basically for religious reasons i cant drink/party/clubs all of that basically.
I looked at whats planned ahead for freshers at my uni and everything just seemed to be either a club with everyone just grinding on each other, or a live music concert where once again everyone is jumping up and down while drinking and all that, so any ideas on what to do?
will there be people like me? and any ideas what i can do during freshers instead of going to the above events?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by ramo55
okay basically for religious reasons i cant drink/party/clubs all of that basically.
I looked at whats planned ahead for freshers at my uni and everything just seemed to be either a club with everyone just grinding on each other, or a live music concert where once again everyone is jumping up and down while drinking and all that, so any ideas on what to do?
will there be people like me? and any ideas what i can do during freshers instead of going to the above events?

Thanks.

There are always threads like this on TSR and it's always the picture that there are a notable number of students who don't drink/don't enjoy clubbing etc. (Me included!)

At my uni's freshers week there's stuff planned during the day that doesn't involve drinking and also alternatives some evenings e.g. night punting. :cool:

My friends who didn't drink/go clubbing in freshers week still said they really enjoed freshers week, and did things like invite round others who aren't going out (there will be some!) back to their room for tea and cake and to chat! :biggrin: You could maybe try something like that. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
**** me, i'm anxious enough and i'm gonna be constantly riding a wave of depressants and stimulants during freshers. i couldn't imagine not being under the influence of something meeting that amount of people. it's incomprehensible.
Reply 3
Original post by ramo55

Thanks.

hey, there is nothing wrong with that, if the people in your halls/ flat are good people they will respect your decisions, the people who don't are not worth getting to know as they are not taking you for who you are :smile:. Any way you are likely to have course meets in freshers where you may meet a few people, you could invite them to go to the union bar and get something to eat and a coffee or something and get to know each other a bit better. If not there are societies and sports clubs and yet again if they are decent people they will welcome you in with open arms :smile: and you are going to be trying something new at the end of the day.

and to answer your question; will there be people like me? yes there will, but you may be lucky and have them in your accom or meet them on your course or you may have to look in other places. I didn't go out to any of the night time freshers events, we went to the student bar and played pool and had soft drinks, with luckily for me, people in my halls who were basically the same :smile: it did take a couple of days to find them though as the block i was in was big (52 people)

just enjoy yourself, if that is going out in the day to the fairs or going to a pub for something to eat and then spending your nights playing cards or having a movie night then go for it. It really is not worth worrying over :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Sparky:)
hey, there is nothing wrong with that, if the people in your halls/ flat are good people they will respect your decisions, the people who don't are not worth getting to know as they are not taking you for who you are :smile:. Any way you are likely to have course meets in freshers where you may meet a few people, you could invite them to go to the union bar and get something to eat and a coffee or something and get to know each other a bit better. If not there are societies and sports clubs and yet again if they are decent people they will welcome you in with open arms :smile: and you are going to be trying something new at the end of the day.

and to answer your question; will there be people like me? yes there will, but you may be lucky and have them in your accom or meet them on your course or you may have to look in other places. I didn't go out to any of the night time freshers events, we went to the student bar and played pool and had soft drinks, with luckily for me, people in my halls who were basically the same :smile: it did take a couple of days to find them though as the block i was in was big (52 people)

just enjoy yourself, if that is going out in the day to the fairs or going to a pub for something to eat and then spending your nights playing cards or having a movie night then go for it. It really is not worth worrying over :smile:

That actually helps alot! thanks for this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending