The Student Room Group

What should I get for Uni.

Hello, I'm starting Uni again next week and I'm just wandering what kind of device I should buy and take to uni?I have a desktop at home but I would ideally like something I can take to university and for my train journeys too.I was having a look at chromebooks because they're very cheap and small. However it appears you really need internet at all times for most of it to work?Is a tablet enough for taking notes etc?I would like something fairly cheap
Reply 1
Original post by Zander01
Hello, I'm starting Uni again next week and I'm just wandering what kind of device I should buy and take to uni?I have a desktop at home but I would ideally like something I can take to university and for my train journeys too.I was having a look at chromebooks because they're very cheap and small. However it appears you really need internet at all times for most of it to work?Is a tablet enough for taking notes etc?I would like something fairly cheap

Here you go: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asus-f551ca-3rd-gen-i3-15-6-inch-4gb-500gb-laptop-249-99-argos-1999256

I don't like windows 8 much, I prefer windows 7, but you will find it harder to find cheap windows 7 laptops because Microsoft is trying to push the 8 baby out into the public more.

Above laptop is a great uni laptop, for browsing, working, bit of film watching, storing stuff. But if you want something for gaming or video rendering, then go for this

http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/novatechnspiren1593.html

I bought this, currently typing on it. Pirate a windows 7 OS and have a ball. Brilliant laptop. 6th most powerful processor on market atm, according to benchmark websites, and Graphis card something like 15th http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4712MQ+%40+2.30GHz
Reply 2

What do you need it for? You can use a notepad and pen to take notes. A lot of people think that laptops are used to take notes but they are not. The lecturers speak/go to fast to type everything hence why people use notepads and you can draw diagrams a lot quicker.

But if you just need something for notes then I'd say get a tablet (if you don't want to write) since they are light and have many apps (depending on which tablet) that you could use.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Weenja
Here you go: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asus-f551ca-3rd-gen-i3-15-6-inch-4gb-500gb-laptop-249-99-argos-1999256I don't like windows 8 much, I prefer windows 7, but you will find it harder to find cheap windows 7 laptops because Microsoft is trying to push the 8 baby out into the public more.Above laptop is a great uni laptop, for browsing, working, bit of film watching, storing stuff. But if you want something for gaming or video rendering, then go for thishttp://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/novatechnspiren1593.htmlI bought this, currently typing on it. Pirate a windows 7 OS and have a ball. Brilliant laptop. 6th most powerful processor on market atm, according to benchmark websites, and Graphis card something like 15th http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4712MQ+%40+2.30GHz
Thanks a lot, yeah I won't be using it for gaming or anything. Just doing research on the internet, storing some files and doing uni work. Very reasonable price too!
Reply 4
Original post by TLK
What do you need it for? You can use a notepad and pen to take notes. A lot of people think that laptops are used to take notes but they are not. The lecturers speak/go to fast to type everything hence why people use notepads and you can draw diagrams a lot quicker. But if you just need something for notes then I'd say get a tablet (if you don't want to write) since they are light and have many apps (depending on which tablet) that you could use.
I have always just used pen and paper but one of the main issues is when I go to the library at Uni it can be very difficult to get a computer at peak times. So being able to take my own would would save a lot of hassle! Also have a half an hour train journey there and back so could be useful then too.Would a tablet be better do you think? I'm worried about laptops as don't the batteries die quite easily? I've only ever had one years ago
Reply 5
I have always just used pen and paper but one of the main issues is when I go to the library at Uni it can be very difficult to get a computer at peak times. So being able to take my own would would save a lot of hassle! Also have a half an hour train journey there and back so could be useful then too.Would a tablet be better do you think? I'm worried about laptops as don't the batteries die quite easily? I've only ever had one years ago

I wouldn't get a tablet then if you want something to do work on. Does your library not have an area where there are sockets? Trains these days have sockets so you wouldn't have to worry about battery drainage on them. It really depends on the laptop, how many programs you have open, your screen brightness etc etc. How many hours you hoping to get out of a laptop/ how many hours you plan to stay in the library?

Either a cheap laptop which is ideal........or a decent tablet with a good keyboard cover?
A Chromebook or a tablet is much better than a Windows machine if you're looking at something reasonably cheap. You can do basic things like word processing on the Chromebook without a connection, so it's not completely limited that way. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending