The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
In my experience, yes.

Thanks so much for your clarification! Personally, my cumulative grade is 4.0, which in itself doesn't mean much, but I was lucky enough to be the top of my class for my cohort. With ECs in public speaking, debate and a win in a criminal moot court competition, 3-month work experience in the Attorney-General's Chambers, a decent PS and a positive reference, do I stand a realistic chance of being admitted if I apply?
Original post by JaredKCW
Thanks so much for your clarification! Personally, my cumulative grade is 4.0, which in itself doesn't mean much, but I was lucky enough to be the top of my class for my cohort. With ECs in public speaking, debate and a win in a criminal moot court competition, 3-month work experience in the Attorney-General's Chambers, a decent PS and a positive reference, do I stand a realistic chance of being admitted if I apply?

There are no certainties where interview-based admissions systems are concerned, and you've now missed the deadline for an interview in Singapore, but on the basis of what you've told me, your application sounds competitive.
There are no certainties where interview-based admissions systems are concerned, and you've now missed the deadline for an interview in Singapore, but on the basis of what you've told me, your application sounds competitive.

Of course. Thank you so much for your input!
For the Graduate Course in Medicine - how much overlap is expected between the UCAS personal statement and the Cambridge form's reflection on healthcare experience? Can they duplicate, or is it better to choose some different examples for these 2 forms?

Also, is there any limit on the size of the completed Cambridge form with all attachments? The scans of my degree certificates and transcripts seem to be pretty large in size, and I am slightly worried that emailing everything in one file might not be feasible (e.g. due to security settings of the Cambridge email system or something).

Thanks again for your time. This is a great thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mindlesss
For the Graduate Course in Medicine - how much overlap is expected between the UCAS personal statement and the Cambridge form's reflection on healthcare experience? Can they duplicate, or is it better to choose some different examples for these 2 forms?

Also, is there any limit on the size of the completed Cambridge form with all attachments? The scans of my degree certificates and transcripts seem to be pretty large in size, and I am slightly worried that emailing everything in one file might not be feasible (e.g. due to security settings of the Cambridge email system or something).

Thanks again for your time. This is a great thread.

We wouldn't expect substantial overlap between the personal statement and the reflection on healthcare experience, in that they serve a different purpose - one is an overall 'portrait', and one is focussing on a specific set of activities and the learning you have gained from them. Having said that, it is fine to use the same examples, as long as you pull out different aspects.

There is, technically, no limit on file size, but the Lucy Cavendish Admissions inbox, at least, can struggle with very large attachments, so you might want to create more than one file, and attach to several e-mails, if you're worried.
We wouldn't expect substantial overlap between the personal statement and the reflection on healthcare experience, in that they serve a different purpose - one is an overall 'portrait', and one is focussing on a specific set of activities and the learning you have gained from them. Having said that, it is fine to use the same examples, as long as you pull out different aspects.

There is, technically, no limit on file size, but the Lucy Cavendish Admissions inbox, at least, can struggle with very large attachments, so you might want to create more than one file, and attach to several e-mails, if you're worried.

Hello!

I have a question about the CGCM form - sorry!

It says everything needs to be emailed as one pdf document. However, does this include the reference? Because this would seem to imply that the referee would then have to email everything including my work experience reflections etc. themselves, rather than having the referee send in just the reference, and I send my things separately.

Also, I read on the Hughes Hall website that the deadline is October 15th for the CGCM form and the UCAS form, which contradicts what it says on the actual form itself - would I be right in saying that the 22nd is the correct deadline and the Hughes Hall website is incorrect, or is that their college-specific deadline?
Original post by emmaaa88
Hello!

I have a question about the CGCM form - sorry!

It says everything needs to be emailed as one pdf document. However, does this include the reference? Because this would seem to imply that the referee would then have to email everything including my work experience reflections etc. themselves, rather than having the referee send in just the reference, and I send my things separately.

Also, I read on the Hughes Hall website that the deadline is October 15th for the CGCM form and the UCAS form, which contradicts what it says on the actual form itself - would I be right in saying that the 22nd is the correct deadline and the Hughes Hall website is incorrect, or is that their college-specific deadline?

No it doesn't include the reference; that should come under separate cover from your referee. The agreement between the three colleges that admit for this course and the Clinical School is that the UCAS deadline is the 15th, and the deadline for all other materials the 22nd. It seems probable that there is an error on the Hughes Hall website (or that it hasn't been updated since last year), but if you're worried, then do double-check with the Hughes Hall Admissions Office.
No it doesn't include the reference; that should come under separate cover from your referee. The agreement between the three colleges that admit for this course and the Clinical School is that the UCAS deadline is the 15th, and the deadline for all other materials the 22nd. It seems probable that there is an error on the Hughes Hall website (or that it hasn't been updated since last year), but if you're worried, then do double-check with the Hughes Hall Admissions Office.

Thanks so much, you've been really helpful!

Final question (hopefully!) - do you require AS level certificates or are just A level certificates fine?
Original post by emmaaa88
Thanks so much, you've been really helpful!

Final question (hopefully!) - do you require AS level certificates or are just A level certificates fine?

A-level certificates alone are fine, unless you need an AS level certificate to show that you meet the course requirements (e.g. to demonstrate that you have AS-level Maths, along with A-level Biology and Chemistry).
This is a very useful thread. Thank you for taking the time.

I am applying for History and will have had two consecutive years away from school since graduating from the IB programme with an overall score of 40. Different colleges seem to differ somewhat as to whether or not this constitutes a competitive score. Does there exist a difference between how mature and other colleges view history applicants?
Original post by slightanon
This is a very useful thread. Thank you for taking the time.

I am applying for History and will have had two consecutive years away from school since graduating from the IB programme with an overall score of 40. Different colleges seem to differ somewhat as to whether or not this constitutes a competitive score. Does there exist a difference between how mature and other colleges view history applicants?

The majority of colleges would, I think, consider a candidate with an overall score of 40 (assuming you have 7, 6+, 6+ in relevant HL subjects), though some do set offers in the 41+ range. Whether you secured an interview and/or offer might depend on the strength of the gathered field at your chosen college - and that would certainly be smaller at a mature college than one of the bigger, better known ones. I don't think mature colleges take a markedly different view of history applicants: we are, after all, looking for students who will thrive on the same degree course as students from other colleges. But the mature colleges do have more experience in assessing applicants with a less than orthodox trajectory - and Lucy Cavendish, at least, is very keen to recruit historians.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 91
Hello,

Thank you for creating this thread, it has been very useful.

I have a question regarding the CGCM entry requirements. I am a Pharmacy graduate with a 1st and AAB at A-level (Chem, Bio, Maths), I was wondering, from your past experience have applicants in recent years managed to attain an interview with such A-levels (assuming the rest of their application was strong)?
Original post by HabzZ
Hello,

Thank you for creating this thread, it has been very useful.

I have a question regarding the CGCM entry requirements. I am a Pharmacy graduate with a 1st and AAB at A-level (Chem, Bio, Maths), I was wondering, from your past experience have applicants in recent years managed to attain an interview with such A-levels (assuming the rest of their application was strong)?

Yes, in recent years a candidate with this profile would have secured an interview, assuming the rest of their application was strong and that the degree was from a reputable UK university.
Hi
I know this is a long way off but I am surrently studying with the open university for a natural science degree. I am in my first year but I would like to do medicine in the future when I am 30 (I am currently 25). I am also planning on doing my a levels while I am doing my degree but one after the other over the next 4 years because I will not have time to sit them all in 2 years.The a levels I will do are biology, chemistry, physics and maths. I am currently a healthcare assistant in the NHS working full time and by the time I apply I would have about 5-6 years work experience and 8-9 years in total of caring experience. if I was to get a first on my degree and a/a*'s on my alevels would I be a possible candidate or am I just kidding myself.

Would it also hinder my application that I have had poor academic performance in the pass. By this I mean that even though I have 4 a's at GCSE taken in 2005 i also have 2 d's. I also have a CDD at alevel in applied science, CD, and environmental science, D, taken in 2008. I also spent an extra year in college becasue I did biology, chemistry, physics and the use of maths at as but I only got an E in biology and the rest were unclassified. I also went to uni after this to study biomedical science and human biology and only ended up with a diploma of applied science in a pass. All of this underperformance is due to me being immature and lazy when I was a teenager and in my early 20's but I have turned myself around.

If after all this I still have a chance at cambridge what else can I do to strengthen my application. And also when I do apply at around 30-31 will my age hinder my application. Also will a degree from the open university be accepted becasue im not sure if you would see it at a reputable institution.

Thank you for your time
Hi,

I'm new to TSR forums and I don't really know where to ask my questions, so i'm just hoping if you could please help answer them for me?

Firstly, let me just say I am doing my A2-levels right now and thinking of taking a gap year and not applying this year, but to apply next year in 2015 to study in 2016.

Can you paying for your tuition fees upfront for one year, then change your 'payment scheme' and instead use the student loans for the other years?

Also if you plan to pay your tuition fees upfront for the first year, when do you have to pay them, is it in installments? Do i pay the whole £9,000 all in 2016, all in 2017 or throughout the whole year 2016-2017?

Thanks!
Original post by 10yeargoals
Hi
I know this is a long way off but I am surrently studying with the open university for a natural science degree. I am in my first year but I would like to do medicine in the future when I am 30 (I am currently 25). I am also planning on doing my a levels while I am doing my degree but one after the other over the next 4 years because I will not have time to sit them all in 2 years.The a levels I will do are biology, chemistry, physics and maths. I am currently a healthcare assistant in the NHS working full time and by the time I apply I would have about 5-6 years work experience and 8-9 years in total of caring experience. if I was to get a first on my degree and a/a*'s on my alevels would I be a possible candidate or am I just kidding myself.

Would it also hinder my application that I have had poor academic performance in the pass. By this I mean that even though I have 4 a's at GCSE taken in 2005 i also have 2 d's. I also have a CDD at alevel in applied science, CD, and environmental science, D, taken in 2008. I also spent an extra year in college becasue I did biology, chemistry, physics and the use of maths at as but I only got an E in biology and the rest were unclassified. I also went to uni after this to study biomedical science and human biology and only ended up with a diploma of applied science in a pass. All of this underperformance is due to me being immature and lazy when I was a teenager and in my early 20's but I have turned myself around.

If after all this I still have a chance at cambridge what else can I do to strengthen my application. And also when I do apply at around 30-31 will my age hinder my application. Also will a degree from the open university be accepted becasue im not sure if you would see it at a reputable institution.

Thank you for your time

There are two routes that you could pursue to study Medicine at Cambridge. The first is Standard Course Medicine (which takes 6 years if you do it from scratch, or 5 years if you do it as a graduate). If you take the A-levels you mention and do well in them (A*A*A or better, including Chemistry and two of Maths, Physics and Biology) then I see no reason why you would not be a competitive candidate for the 6 year version of this course. If you also gain a First in your Open University degree, then you could be a competitive candidate for the 5 year version.

The second route is Graduate Course Medicine, which takes four years. Again, if you passed the A-levels you mentioned with good grades, and completed the OU degree with a First, you would have a shot at securing a place on this course. However, it is much more popular (25 applicants per place versus 10 for the Standard Course) so the odds are longer. Assessors also like to see relevant voluntary experience in the healthcare sector, as much as paid employment.

I do not think your past underperformance would have any bearing on your chances of securing an offer for either course. What counts is what you do over the next four years. Good luck!
Original post by sadeqrahman
Hi,

I'm new to TSR forums and I don't really know where to ask my questions, so i'm just hoping if you could please help answer them for me?

Firstly, let me just say I am doing my A2-levels right now and thinking of taking a gap year and not applying this year, but to apply next year in 2015 to study in 2016.

Can you paying for your tuition fees upfront for one year, then change your 'payment scheme' and instead use the student loans for the other years?

Also if you plan to pay your tuition fees upfront for the first year, when do you have to pay them, is it in installments? Do i pay the whole £9,000 all in 2016, all in 2017 or throughout the whole year 2016-2017?

Thanks!

This isn't really my area of expertise (sorry!), so I think the best place for you to start is the Money and Finance Forum. If you can't find an answer there, Student Finance England should be able to advise you on changing payment schemes. And whichever universities you are interested in should be able to advise you on whether you can pay undergraduate tuition fees in installments or not. (Payment by installments has usually been possible, in my experience, at Cambridge and elsewhere, but I would not wish to generalize.)
Hi, I'm an international applicant.

I just submitted my copa but I realized that my personal statement did not exactly match with the statement in ucas.

Would this be an issue? Several vocabularies have been changed. If so, is there any solution?

Best regards
Original post by imcurious
Hi, I'm an international applicant.

I just submitted my copa but I realized that my personal statement did not exactly match with the statement in ucas.

Would this be an issue? Several vocabularies have been changed. If so, is there any solution?

Best regards

I don't think it's a huge issue, unless there are significant differences and/or factual discrepancies (as opposed to minor variations in wording). If you're very worried, and you've submitted your UCAS application within the past 7 days, you can cancel it and re-submit. Alternatively, you can flag the issue to the college to which you've applied. But I'm not sure either of those steps are really necessary.
One more CGCM question - if I am in the process of taking A-level Chemistry (have taken two modules so far) - does Cambridge ask for module marks on UCAS? If yes, is there a preference between letter marks and UMS?

Latest

Trending

Trending