The Student Room Group

HELP. I have only just started my medical school application.

There was a bit of confusion with my predicted grades, basically i was told a few days ago i was predicted AAA (but i was told AAB at the start of the year). So i have only just started preparing.

I am so, so worried. I have my UKCAT on the 29th, but i want to apply to PS heavy medical schools so i feel like i need to spend most of the time on my PS.

If i do a few hours of UKCAT a day until the 29th, and spend most of my time on PS will i be able to submit a good application?

I made notes about the skills i made from work exp and volunteering as i did them, so its just a matter of condensing everything and making the paragraphs flow.

For the UKCAT, i'm on medify and have a kaplan book.

I know the deadline is the 15th of October, but is it beneficial for me to submit my application earlier, like the 5th of October (or even earlier?. But i'm not sure i'll be able to get everything done.)

I also have a question on personal statements. For work experience, should i write about what i learnt about the profession, or how it affected me/ how i felt about it? If i have to do both for work exp and volunteering i wont be able to fit it all in.

Thank you :smile: :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rosewater1
There was a bit of confusion with my predicted grades, basically i was told a few days ago i was predicted AAA (but i was told AAB at the start of the year). So i have only just started preparing.

I am so, so worried. I have my UKCAT on the 29th, but i want to apply to PS heavy medical schools so i feel like i need to spend most of the time on my PS.

If i do a few hours of UKCAT a day until the 29th, and spend most of my time on PS will i be able to submit a good application?

I made notes about the skills i made from work exp and volunteering as i did them, so its just a matter of condensing everything and making the paragraphs flow.

I know the deadline is the 15th of October, but is it beneficial for me to submit my application earlier, like the 5th of October (or even earlier?. But i'm not sure i'll be able to get everything done.)

I also have a question on personal statements. For work experience, should i write about what i learnt about the profession, or how it affected me/ how i felt about it? If i have to do both for work exp and volunteering i wont be able to fit it all in.

Thank you :smile: :redface:

You've only just started preparing but you've already done work experience and volunteering...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Jaska
You've only just started preparing but you've already done work experience and volunteering...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but i have only just started writing my personal statement and preparing for the UKCAT.
Reply 3
PS heavy unis include places such as Sheffield Bristol Leicester Leeds and BSMS (BMAT) Aberdeen and Cardiff. Hope this helps :smile: however it really would depend on how well you preform in the UKCAT
Original post by rosewater1

No benefit from sending it early. Just for the love of god don't leave it till the very last day!

I also have a question on personal statements. For work experience, should i write about what i learnt about the profession, or how it affected me/ how i felt about it? .

They're the same thing aren't they? :wink:

Just reflect on what you saw and what you learned in a way that is meaningful to you. The physical nature of the job and how that affects people are both important.
Reply 5
Original post by 2018
PS heavy unis include places such as Sheffield Bristol Leicester Leeds and BSMS (BMAT) Aberdeen and Cardiff. Hope this helps :smile: however it really would depend on how well you preform in the UKCAT

thanks :smile: i'm struggling with the UKCAT, i dont have time to read the text and understand it, so i don't know how i'm going to get the answers right.

Personal statement writing is going ok. The ones on the TSR personal statement library are brilliant though. Oh well hopefully my one will be good too, good enough to get me an offer anyway :redface:

Original post by nexttime
No benefit from sending it early. Just for the love of god don't leave it till the very last day!
They're the same thing aren't they? :wink:

Just reflect on what you saw and what you learned in a way that is meaningful to you. The physical nature of the job and how that affects people are both important.

Thank you for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending